Skip to main content

Is it possible to auto-update a Sonos playlist from the Spotify playlist it was copied from?

• 2 January 2018
  • 2 replies

I have just created a trigger using "Stringify" that (using "SmartThings" and a "Harmony Hub 'Activity' ") plays a specific playlist on my "Sonos" when I turn a light ON in the kitchen. That Sonos playlist was copied from Spotify.

This is good ... but it would be better if the SONOS playlist could sync with my Spotify playlist so that the playlist on my SONOS "United Kingdom Top 50" (which is a copy of the playlist with the same name on my Spotify) is always up-to-date.

I have the list playing 'shuffle play' so I get different songs each time, but I will soon notice that the playlist is always from December 2017!

NB: The Harmony Hub can only 'See' the playlist that is saved on my SONOS, not the Spotify playlists.

Thanks
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Hi there, csnuker. Thanks for posting. I think you hit the proverbial nail right on the head with the last note about the Harmony Hub only being able to see Sonos Playlists and not Spotify playlists. Out of curiosity, if you save the Spotify playlist to my Sonos (or Sonos favorites), does the Harmony Hub see it? Otherwise, I'm not sure it'll be possible, especially if Harmony Hub can't see the new content coming from Spotify.
Badge +1
It looks like I was 'wrong' ... when using the Harmony Hub to build an activity where the Hub instructs Sonos to play a play list it can see the saved 'Spotify' playlist if the Spotify playlist is saved to to 'my Sons'. I have saved the playlist to 'My Sonos' put it on shuffle and now it works.

It is a bit strange. I use a 'Hue Motion Sensor' to turn on the 'Hue GU10 Bulb'. The 'SmartThings Hub' detects that the GU10 has turned on and sends a message to the 'Harmony Hub' to run the command 'Play Music on Sonos'. The command 'Play Music on Sonos' then instructs the 'Sonos' to play the playlist and Sonos goes to 'Spotify' to play the specified playlist. All happens in a few seconds and a similar command happens when I leave the room and the sensor detects no movement leading to the Spotify playlist stopping playing on the Sonos. A complicated way to do what the 'Radio' used to do - i.e. play the current chart. I also ask Alexa for the news every now and then - again - replacing the simple radio with a load of cloud and logic. (Phew!)