Question

IPhone controller connected directly to Sonosnet

• 21 February 2016
  • 8 replies

My IPhone looses wifi at different areas in the house. I see that you can connect an Android device to Sonosnet, yet there is no mention for IOS devices.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

This is the problem with relying on third party devices for controllers. Apple devices are closed platforms so they will not allow things like connection to Sonosnet but have consistent hardware so they can support TruePlay.. Android devices are open platforms so they can be configured to support Sonosnet but the hardware is all over the place so implementing something like TruePlay is a problem. There is currently no single controller that does everything you might want or need to do with your Sonos system. Sonos should be looking to provide a solution that covers all of the following:

Connects via Sonosnet
Supports TruePlay
Instant wake without needing to launch an app
Works out of the box (no installing this app and configuring that setting just to achieve basic functionality)
Drop in charging cradle
Hard buttons for often used functions
How many more times Mike? Sonos' hardware controllers were too expensive and unreliable (in the case of the touchscreen). There just aren't enough people willing to spend the money to make them worth doing.
Not saying Sonos has to create a new hardware controller but they need to find some way to address the shortcomings in their current strategy. As for how many more times... pretty much as long as it continues to be an issue for me that didn't exist when I purchased my system. Maybe once I finish replacing all of my failing CR200s with used CR100s I'll be satisfied and drop it. They have everything except TruePlay and provide the only satisfactory user experience I can get my family to accept.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
My IPhone looses wifi at different areas in the house. I see that you can connect an Android device to Sonosnet, yet there is no mention for IOS devices.

Back on topic for a bit, you could look into getting a wireless access point for your iPhone and other wireless devices which will work as a secondary access point for your network. Something like the Airport Express or any other WAP devices should work just fine. As long as it's not assigning out IP addresses and creating a separate network you should be set. An old router with DHCP turned off wired back to the main router could even work fine.

As upstatemike said, the iOS software doesn't support allowing a third-party apps to configure the network the way we'd need to for it to run on SonosNet.

As upstatemike said, the iOS software does support allowing a third-party apps to configure the network the way we'd need to for it to run on SonosNet.

I think you meant to say the iOS software does NOT support...
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

As upstatemike said, the iOS software does support allowing a third-party apps to configure the network the way we'd need to for it to run on SonosNet.

I think you meant to say the iOS software does NOT support...

Absolutely, going to fix that comment. Thanks
Userlevel 2
There is a demand as witnessed by consistent c £200 price on eBay I can’t get WiFi in several parts of my home and garden and can’t access Sonos net from my iPhone. When I can get a dedicated controller or access Sonos net from my phone I will buy c 5 more Sonos 1s
There is a demand as witnessed by consistent c £200 price on eBay I can’t get WiFi in several parts of my home and garden and can’t access Sonos net from my iPhone. When I can get a dedicated controller or access Sonos net from my phone I will buy c 5 more Sonos 1s

As stated by Ryan S from Sonos above, this is an iOS limitation, not a Sonos limitation. iOS is far more limiting in what it allows developers to do with the WiFi connection.