iphone connection issue (on every iphone I have had)

Badge +1

I have this issue on one phone. it struggles to find the rooms, when it does find the rooms it then won't connect. All other devices my partners iPhone, iPads, computers work fine.

But this is the thing….this problem only applies to my iPhones going back over 3 maybe 4 handsets so is it something to do with the software passing onto each new handset when I do the changeover?

Help. Very annoying. Current handset is iPhone 13.

Thank you

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Maybe it’s software on the phone, as you mention…

The Sonos controller uses SSDP to initially discover the players, multicasting via UDP to 239.255.255.250:1900 and, for good measure, broadcasting to 255.255.255.255:1900. 

Thereafter communication is unicast.

If the multicast packets are being blocked, intermittently or otherwise, by something on your device, then Sonos device-discovery can fail.

You clearly backup your devices, if you have passed on settings etc. so maybe try a full reset and setup as a new device and see what happens, you can always return to your current backup after the testing is complete. If it turns out to be your mobile software, it’s a case of then trying to find the culprit by removing/re-installing suspects.

Just to say the SSDP discovery issues though can also be caused by the router or other local network devices in the subnet, particularly switches, other WiFi AP’s, extenders, powerline adapters etc. but the fact your partners devices work okay, seem to ‘infer’ that these things ‘may’ not be at fault, but I would not rule them out at this stage, as it might be a combination of things and there is such things as intermittent luck and coincidence, or just different models of hardware.

I would though, for now, concentrate on your phones software unless something else I’ve mentioned focuses your attention elsewhere.

Surely it would make sense to only reset the network settings as a first step?

It’s the fact it has occurred on the various devices and with iOS, I’m pretty sure the network settings are not backed up as the user usually has to reconnect to the WiFi network after restoring a backup IIRC (it’s been some time since I’ve had to restore a device🤔)?

It might be worth switching off ‘Private Address’, WiFi Calling and those type of iOS features however.

If only one controller is having issues, I suggest installing and reinstalling that controller. Nothing critical is stored in the controllers.

It’s the fact it has occurred on the various devices and with iOS, I’m pretty sure the network settings are not backed up as the user usually has to reconnect to the WiFi network after restoring a backup IIRC (it’s been some time since I’ve had to restore a device🤔)?

A reset device needs the first WiFi to be connected by the user. Restoring a backup will reload the other WiFi settings. 

Consider deactivating iOS features like 'Private Address' and WiFi Calling. It could prove beneficial.

Badge +1

Maybe it’s software on the phone, as you mention…

The Sonos controller uses SSDP to initially discover the players, multicasting via UDP to 239.255.255.250:1900 and, for good measure, broadcasting to 255.255.255.255:1900. 

Thereafter communication is unicast.

If the multicast packets are being blocked, intermittently or otherwise, by something on your device, then Sonos device-discovery can fail.

You clearly backup your devices, if you have passed on settings etc. so maybe try a full reset and setup as a new device and see what happens, you can always return to your current backup after the testing is complete. If it turns out to be your mobile software, it’s a case of then trying to find the culprit by removing/re-installing suspects.

Just to say the SSDP discovery issues though can also be caused by the router or other local network devices in the subnet, particularly switches, other WiFi AP’s, extenders, powerline adapters etc. but the fact your partners devices work okay, seem to ‘infer’ that these things ‘may’ not be at fault, but I would not rule them out at this stage, as it might be a combination of things and there is such things as intermittent luck and coincidence, or just different models of hardware.

I would though, for now, concentrate on your phones software unless something else I’ve mentioned focuses your attention elsewhere.

Setting up as a new phone I think is the way to go but it's the time and effort….will probably wait till my next phone. Thank you for your answer. Makes sense.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Sounds like your phones have an MDM configured eg with a corporate VPN. That will block local network access unless reconfigured not to.

Badge +1

Sounds like your phones have an MDM configured eg with a corporate VPN. That will block local network access unless reconfigured not to.

So I need to sort which ‘App’ is using a VPN?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Or ask the company you work for and that has provided the iPhone?

By definition, VPNs are designed to block outside connection attempts to your device. Also, by definition, Sonos tries to use those outside connections to contact the controller on your device. One will win. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

But this is the thing….this problem only applies to my iPhones going back over 3 maybe 4 handsets so is it something to do with the software passing onto each new handset when I do the changeover?

I have seen similar issue where a friends iPhone was sometimes connecting to their nextdoors WiFi using a public ‘BTWIFI’ network.

I would forget any WiFi networks you no longer need, especially public ones, eg BTWIFI you may have connected to in the past. As previously mentioned, the WiFi networks are backed up, and will restore when you get a new phone.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208941

Consider deactivating iOS features like 'Private Address' and WiFi Calling. It could prove beneficial.

Hope problem, solved