Answered

iOS app all speakers disconnect when deselecting just one

• 11 March 2022
  • 5 replies

I use the SONOS app on iOS.  When i deselect a speaker they all stop playing music or whatever and the app freezes and is unusable.  Any suggestions or help would be useful.  I had this system as it is supposed to be flexible etc and should not have to reboot the router or whole system every time i want to stop playing sound from a speaker.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 11 March 2022, 13:41

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Sounds like you have some network issues, that is definitely not the way the system is supposed to respond.

The first step I would take is a simple refresh of the network, by unplugging all Sonos devices from power. While they are powered down, reboot your router. Once the router comes back up, plug back in the Sonos devices and see if this behaviour continues. If it does not, you may want to look into reserving IP addresses for all your network devices in your router, instructions would be in your routers manual.

While I suspect that process will resolve the issue, there is a small chance that it may not. If not, after the system locks up and you reset it, submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of the reset, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Userlevel 1

Are you a SONOS Employee?  Throwing out there the old “Network problem” as an “answer” is a typical first response, not that the software is ropier than a rope bridge.  I am having a very similar issue with my Windows 10/11 setup, nothing to do with “network issues”, but whenever I deselect a speaker when playing through a Shuffle Playlist playback is momentarily paused, then the “Random” Playlist starts playing from the first track in the list!  

I am on the beta programme...the lack of responsiveness, or the constant questions to find out why I am having the issue just makes me want to find an alternative Controller App for PC...Anyone know of one?  ...or maybe I have to get rid of all the speakers as well?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Are you a SONOS Employee?  Throwing out there the old “Network problem” as an “answer” is a typical first response, not that the software is ropier than a rope bridge.  I am having a very similar issue with my Windows 10/11 setup, nothing to do with “network issues”, but whenever I deselect a speaker when playing through a Shuffle Playlist playback is momentarily paused, then the “Random” Playlist starts playing from the first track in the list!  

I am on the beta programme...the lack of responsiveness, or the constant questions to find out why I am having the issue just makes me want to find an alternative Controller App for PC...Anyone know of one?  ...or maybe I have to get rid of all the speakers as well?

The characteristics of Sonos’ synchronised networked speakers places higher demands on the network than “just” a device on the same network. Many times, posts on these forums have been resolved by tweaking users’ network settings. 

There are other controller apps though I don’t know about PC versions; they won’t necessarily work any better if your network needs tweaking. 

Userlevel 1

I worked in IT for over 30 years.  My home network comprises a Gigabit Switch at its core, with my broadband router connected directly to that...then separate WiFi Access Points (Ubiquiti Unifi High Speed), giving me hi-speed WiFi throughout my home.  My Music Library is hosted on a Dell Server, with bridged 2Gb Network Card directly into the switch.  The Server runs Windows 2016 Server.  The “main” Music Library has over 800Gb of music files.  In trying to add a secondary share with my classical music collection, this then started causing all sorts of problems with the software reporting the queue was full (despite the fact that the queue showed empty in the software).  

Turns out this seems to be directly related to the addition of the second music library.  As soon as I remove it, I can then shuffle play again!  

There are fundamental flaws in the way in which - for example - the SONOS Controller Software handles the number of tracks in my Music Collection.  Pretty much every other media player can handle any number of tracks, and allows searching across artist, album, track etc., rather than - in the SONOS Software - having to select whether you are searching for a track name, artist name or album name!  

Networked Software is all about “balance”.  If SONOS cannot play nicely with my other network software, then it is of no use to me.  Making changes to the network may also have an adverse impact on other software.  ...but I believe my network is operating optimally...all other software works beautifully, but the whole stack is let down by SONOS’ inability to work in my environment.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Then you’ve forgotten the confidentiality clause that you signed up to when joining the beta - this includes mentioning that you are in a beta program!  Use the Beta forum for your issues not the public one!