IOS 17 and trueplay

• 19 September 2023
  • 33 replies

Well i just updated to ios 17 and Sonos sent an update earlier today and still cannot perform trueplay.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

33 replies

Did you not have TP tuning in place prior to these recent updates then🤔? If not, I guess you missed out by just one day. C'est la vie. Guess those few people, in the minority, that have missed out, like yourself, will just have to wait patiently until the Sonos, or Apple, engineers can resolve the issue.

Quite clearly it’s Apple that must have changed something, which in turn may have broken Trueplay, but it may even be a bug in their iOS v17 release, perhaps (who knows🤔?)

I guess the fix will be a work in progress, followed by a fair bit of testing for each individual Sonos device and the numerous combinations of devices that Sonos allows with their product range. So my own thoughts here are… that it may take a while.

I’ve been thinking about rearranging some of my system, so was curious if anyone else has tried TruePlay with iOS 17 and had similar results?  I’ll wait to move anything if the app still needs some tweaking.

Yes, there are multiple threads about iOS 17 stopping the ability to run TruePlay, at least temporarily. 

There is an update in the Sonos app now that resolves this issue 

The update doesn't address any issues on iOS 17, and it's still not possible to run TruePlay.

There is certainly nothing in the release notes about it. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I don't have this issue. Updated iPhone to IOS 17 and both Sonos app and hardware to 15.8 in the last 3 hours. Trueplay is available for my system.

I cannot use true play configuration since I started using iOS 17 (beta) and currently with the iOS 17 release. Sonos app and system completed and update now and it still does not work. 

I cannot use true play configuration since I started using iOS 17 (beta) and currently with the iOS 17 release. Sonos app and system completed and update now and it still does not work. 

I suspect the 15.8 Sonos update was likely put out to support todays launch of Move 2 (as a guess) so we may have to perhaps wait for another update for Trueplay to work with the newly released iOS v17.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I’m running iOS 17 on an iPad mini 6th gen and an iPhone 12. I’ve just updated the Sonos 2 app to 15.8.1, released today. On the iPad I can now Trueplay, but on the iPhone I can’t, being presented with the ‘coming soon’ message. 

Just updated to 15.8.1 and truplay is now working again on my iPhone 14

I’m running iOS 17 on an iPad mini 6th gen and and iPhone 12. I’ve just updated the Sonos 2 app to 15.8.1, released today. On the iPad I can now Trueplay, but on the iPhone I can’t, being presented with the ‘coming soon’ message. 

Not working with iPad Pro 11 (4th gen) with ios 17.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Not followed through, but I seem to be able to start Trueplay on my iPhone XR and on my iPad 7th generation.

Can’t adjust volume now with ios17

What does that have to do with TruePlay?

Excuse me Ba-ruuce, I was just pointing out another issue with the new os. 

Can’t adjust volume now with ios17
Excuse me Ba-ruuce, I was just pointing out another issue with the new os. 

Assuming you are ‘perhaps’ referring to either the iOS hardware-buttons, or lock-screen volume control - these features were changed way-back in July. See below extract from Sonos update notes…

Release date: 7/25/2023

In this update:

• We’ve removed the ability to control the Sonos app for iOS using lock screen controls and device hardware buttons. The way these features were architected do not meet Apple’s experience guidelines for developers and no longer offer a reliable control experience.
  • Bug fixes and performance enhancements.

"… Apologies too for taking this thread slightly off topic by the way”.

There is an update in the Sonos app now that resolves this issue 

I believe it’s only for certain carriers. AT&T does not have a fix yet. 

I have an iPhone 12 on iOS 17 and Sonos app is on 15.8.1 but it’s still saying it’s not supported by Trueplay. Why are some people on iOS 17 able to use it but not others? That seems pretty strange, especially since I have an older phone.

May have spoken too soon. I can start truplay on both my iPhone 14 and iPad mini on iOS 17 but both fail with a too much background noise error in the first sitting test. Room is super quiet.

Anyone else experiencing this?

After installing IOS 17 I couldn’t use TruePlay and Sonos didn’t showed the connected speakers ?+?+? After a restart from my iPhone 11 Pro everything is oké now. 

As of today, Sept. 22, Trueplay is NOT working on either the iPhone 13 or either of my two iPad Pros, all with the latest version of the operating system.  The OPTION does come up in the Sonos App, but when you actually try to RUN it, it just says “coming soon.”

iOS version 17.0.1 on an iPhone 11.

Sonos app 15.8.1

Sonos OS S2

Trueplay Tuning is not working anymore; message says: “Trueplay tuning coming soon” so can’t tune Beam + sub-mini.

Restart of the iPhone didn’t work.

Oh well at least I’m not alone it would seem. Just received an ERA300 to compliment my array of Sonos speakers and am unable to run true play after having updated my iPhone 12 to iOS 17 with Sonos at 15.8.1. :(

As of today (Sept. 27) it is working again on the ERA300, including stereo pairs.