Answered

I moved my music library to a new external hard drive, and it no longer works.

• 28 July 2023
  • 4 replies

I’m running Windows 10 on a PC that’s about 6 years old. Some things I’ve tried:

• changing the library settings to point to the new drive & folder
  • re-indexing the library
  • removing the existing library setting and adding the new one
  • uninstalling and reinstalling the Sonos app
  • adding just one subfolder

The latter item seemed to work .. kinda. It worked for the one folder I added, but that’s not a tenable solution when I have approximately eleventy quadbillion subfolders of music, ya know???? It seems like there might be something hecky with the Windows share settings, but as I’m not a professional sysadmin, I’m not sure how to fix it.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 31 July 2023, 14:14

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Don’t know Windows well but can you compare the sharing settings between the old library location and the new one?

Is the new drive going into sleep mode and failing to start fast enough to make Sonos happy?

I went with a NAS device to get away from having to have my desktop always on and dealing with it being tied up doing other stuff and unable to serve my music.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @JuliaGosh 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports - they’ll be able to remotely connect to your computer and help you set things up. I suspect you are correct in thinking that it is the Windows sharing settings that need altered - perhaps the user permissions?

I hope this helps.

I don’t love having to spend time on the phone with a stranger just to get my system working, but if that’s what I gotta do to get the speaker system that I invested significant money into working, then ok.

Are there any error messages?

Are there any odd characters in your folder or file names? If so, they could be flustering the NAS. I avoid spaces.

How many tracks are in your library? I’ve seen users who get into trouble at a few hundred tracks, a few thousand tracks, while others can deal with the full 65,000 track library. The individual file path length might be an issue. Indexing is done by a player, not the PC. Long path lengths tie up more memory and run slower. It’s possible that there has been a timeout or out of memory error.

In your PC controller go to Help → Error Log…. There may be a message here if you started the indexing process from the PC.

A strategy that has been successful for some is to break the library into separate folders. Rather than \\NAS\music, use \\NAS\music\classical, \\NAS\music\jazz, etc. Up to 16 segments can be defined. The advantage of smaller segments is that each will require less memory and execution time. As far as the user is concerned, only the library Folders view will be impacted.