Skip to main content

Situation: I come home, Sonos is silent. I think, “I’d like to hear <song x>”; I search for it, press play, I enjoy the song, the song finishes and then immediately after whatever the hell it was I was listening to the previous time I used the Sonos starts playing.

How do I make it not do that? Ever? I never want that to happen. Do the thing I ask you to do, and then just stop doing things.

It’s probably adding “song x” to the playlist and then resuming the playlist when song x finishes. Clear the playlist first. Then play song x. 

Or choose “Replace queue” from the menu.

I never want this to happen. I want to turn the queue off. Is there no way to avoid having the extra step of having to say “replace queue”? No “Always replace queue” setting somewhere?

Do the thing I ask you to do, and then just stop doing things.

That’s exactly what I always tell my wife, and then she suddenly starts throwing the dishes at me. Glad I’m not the only one with that thought 😂😂

Hi. What source are you playing?

Hi. What source are you playing?

Apple Music, my local music library served off a Synology, Soundcloud—the issue is independent of the source.

I don’t think there is any other way of doing this from the app.  I don’t use anything Apple, but can you not just say ‘Siri, play {insert required song from Apple Music)”.  This certainly works for me with Alexa and Amazon Music.

Spotify also does this. I actually like it.

Spotify also does this. I actually like it.

In fact, Sonos used to just play one track and stop.  But after a number of customer requests complaining that it should carry on (like Spotify) and play further tracks, a change was made.  It just proves that you can’t please all the people all of the time.

I hear screams of ‘give us the option’.  I think Sonos has always ben wary of lots of options.  Each one sounds like a trivial addition in itself, but which of the potentially hundreds do you build?

There are indeed two types of people, I think: people who care about music in and of and for itself—these are the people who like to listen to an album from start to finish in order, and then want to choose what album to listen to next. This is me, and everyone else who preferred the “do what I tell you and then stop” behaviour.

Then there are people for whom music is simply background ambience. These people listen to “Daily Chill” playlists and want Sonos to behave like an FM radio and just keep the ambience going until they tell it to stop when they leave the house. Despite these peoples’ lack of taste they have unfortunately won.

I don’t use anything Apple, but can you not just say ‘Siri, play {insert required song from Apple Music)”.

Unfortunately no. “Hey Siri, play Seven Nation Army in the kitchen” doesn’t work and I do not care whose fault it is but it one day it will piss me off so much I will kidnap product managers from Sonos and Apple and lock them in a room and bang their heads together until it does.

I don’t use anything Apple, but can you not just say ‘Siri, play {insert required song from Apple Music)”.

Unfortunately no. “Hey Siri, play Seven Nation Army in the kitchen” doesn’t work and I do not care whose fault it is but it one day it will piss me off so much I will kidnap product managers from Sonos and Apple and lock them in a room and bang their heads together until it does.

This works for me, have you registered the speakers as accessories in your Apple Home App? Note it may only work with Apple Music and so for that reason I much prefer Amazon Alexa and SVC, but Siri definitely does work with my Airplay capable Sonos speakers, but give me Alexa and Sonos voice control any day.

There are indeed two types of people, I think: people who care about music in and of and for itself—these are the people who like to listen to an album from start to finish in order, and then want to choose what album to listen to next. This is me, and everyone else who preferred the “do what I tell you and then stop” behaviour.

Then there are people for whom music is simply background ambience. These people listen to “Daily Chill” playlists and want Sonos to behave like an FM radio and just keep the ambience going until they tell it to stop when they leave the house. Despite these peoples’ lack of taste they have unfortunately won.

This is clearly a simplistic pile of doggy-do, hopefully stated with conscious irony.

The main argument from the ‘pro-continuation’ lobby was that if you tapped the first track of an album it stopped after that track, instead of doing what they wanted, which was to listen to the whole album.

From Ken’s post, it sounds like this can work when correctly set up, as I would have expected.