Skip to main content
Answered

How do I see what audio source is playing

• 18 June 2024
  • 9 replies

I started out with one system - an Arc. Whenever I watched TV, the Sonos app would show something like TV audio - Dolby 5.1. Along with that, there was an option to increase/decrease the volume or even mute it. At one point, I decided to briefly play iHeartRadio on the arc. That now ALWAYS shows up.

I recently added to my system (second TV) an arc, sub, and Era 100’s. I briefly saw the audio control options in the app when I selected the room and then viewed that system. Now the audio controls are missing for the new system and iHeartRadio still shows up.

9 replies

Go to Settings > <Arc Room Name> and scroll down to Autoplay TV.  Set it to ‘On’ so the TV sound will play whenever the Arc senses TV audio. 

This setting was enabled already for both my phone and tablet, but on the tablet I am only seeing iheartradio. I made the mistake of clicking what looked like a copy button and then I clicked on everywhere. That immediately turned off the audio. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

This setting was enabled already for both my phone and tablet, but on the tablet I am only seeing iheartradio. I made the mistake of clicking what looked like a copy button and then I clicked on everywhere. That immediately turned off the audio. 

On the home screen, touch the name of your system top left, which brings up all your speakers. Tap the room with the Arc in it. Then on the home screen, scroll down and you will see under sources ‘TV’. Tap that and it should revert to your TV audio when you play through the TV.

(But with Autoplay on, it should do that automatically. But don’t forget, when you stop playing through the TV, the speaker reverts to the music you were playing before. Until Sonos gets its app updates together and allows you to play a playlist then clear the queue, you’ll be stuck with whatever music/station you last played through the home theatre/Arc.)

Basement system in use. TV auto play turned on, and here's what I see. How did this app go from being simple to complete mess? If I'm watching TV audio, I want to see TV audio and not iheartradio. 

Click on ‘Sonos’ at the top.

Then click on ‘Your System’, which replaces it. 

Then click on ‘Basement’

Look to the right side of the screen. 

I got it situated now. Is that iheartradio thing always going to remain?

I think the iHeart Radio thing you’re seeing is what is ‘playing’ on your Living Room speakers (or wherever it is shown). If you change the selected speaker, and then reduce the full page to the ‘bottom’ box, it will show the TV. What it doesn’t show, at least on my iOS controller, is the type of format being played. I have no idea if that is intended, or something that they need to add to the code in some later update. 

iHeartRadio was something I played just once and only after I had added that service. It hasn't been used since, yet there it is every time I open the app.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Select that speaker and play something else on it instead. iheartradio will be replaced by this. Unfortunately though, until the ability to clear the queue is added (as it was in the old app), which ought to be within the next month, you’ll be stuck seeing whatever you last played, when the speaker isn’t playing TV.