Skip to main content

I accidentally hijacked a Sonos Move in the home of a relative, who lives in another city. I played music on her Move when I visited and was connected to her WiFi. Now when I got home and tried to play Spotify music on my own Move, the music comes from her speaker. This is spooky. I renamed my own Move and now I can choose which Move, in which city, to play music on. We are all on S2.

Is this a bug or a feature? Is this a Sonos or Spotify problem?

It is a well known feature of Spotify, and could happen with any Spotify-Connect-enabled speaker.  It may seem spooky but is well understood and results from Spotify making a cloud based connection to a speaker that persists outside of WiFi.

Your relative should play a non-Spotify source on her speaker to break the link.

Thanks for the answer. Unfortunately it didn’t address the security issue, and the statement that it is ”well understood” doesn’t explain or help. As I understand it, this is a Spotify problem. Fortunately after a day the remote connection seem to have expired. 

Thanks for the answer. Unfortunately it didn’t address the security issue, and the statement that it is ”well understood” doesn’t explain or help. As I understand it, this is a Spotify problem. Fortunately after a day the remote connection seem to have expired. 

As I am just a fellow user, I am not sure how I can “address the security issue”.  The only way for Sonos to stop this happening would be to withdraw Spotify Connect functionality from Sonos speakers.  I think that would go down like a lead balloon.

There is, of course, a way to avoid this happening.  The connection can only be made if a visitor is allowed onto the system owner’s WiFi network.  THAT is a much bigger security risk and is voluntary.  Being able to play music on your friend’s speaker should be the last of your worries, or rather your friend’s.