Answered

Help adding existing Play:3 (Gen 1) to my existing sonos network using S1

• 6 December 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2

Every year I bring my Sonos Play:3 speakers in off my home deck and winter them in my office by adding them to my “work” system. This year when I try to add a Play:3 to my “Work” system, the Sonos 1 app is making me upgrade to Sonos 2 app (see picture) .  There is no choice about it. The Sonos 1 app forces you to update to the Sonos 2 app. 

I tried updating to the Sonos 2 app on my iPad. It sees the old “Work” system but will not allow me add any new products to that system. I’m bummed because this is something I’ve done many times without issue previously on the Sonos 1 app

I have read about updating in the chats and they say, Devices that are S1 Compatible only will only work on S1 (it’s in the label). Newly designed devices (currently Arc, Five, Sub gen 3) will only work on S2.My equipment (20+ sonos products) is older S1 and I want to continue to use the S1 app to add and subtract speakers from my different Sonos systems.  Is there a workaround?  Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Jamie A 8 December 2022, 14:45

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Is it possible that one or more players have been upgraded to S2? Don’t Factory Reset anything yet. Have you wired these PLAY:3’s to the network? Are there two separate Households (Systems): “Home” and “Work”?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Chris Norrman 

I agree with @buzz, it sounds like a speaker has been updated to S2 as the message to use the S2 app usually comes about when a speaker or system has been upgraded. It’s likely to be the Play:3s if that’s the product you move around and connect between your work and home system.

I also wouldn’t recommend you Factory Reset any of your products, but instead re-install the S1 app. This will allow you to connect to an existing system, your S1 system with your other equipment, without having to upgrade to S2.

After you connect to the S1 system, try as buzz suggests and wire the Play:3s to the network, then attempt to re-add the speakers to the S1 system one at a time. I’d only suggest Factory Resetting the Play:3s after you’re re-connected to the S1 system and can’t add them back by wiring them.

If you still can’t connect to your S1 system after resetting the S1 app, then please submit a diagnostics if possible and reach out to our support team, as they have the tools necessary to help troubleshoot and resolve this with you.

I hope this helps!