FULL spotify integration (and other 3rd parties)

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

107 replies

I've just learned that Sonos refuses to integrate spotify connect into their players because spotify connect doesn't have the multi room playing function (with spotify connect you can only use your spotify account on one device at the same time), and i find this very good! for me spotify connect is not even in my considerations without multi room function! Sonos on the other hand does a perfect job when it comes to this! However I still hope, that the integration of the control options when it comes to using spotifi through Sonos improves vastly in the near future!!
well spotify has biggest collection of English / international music compared to any other provider, Shame on Sonos for not supporting spotify connect. I am planning to sell my play 5 for Bose sound touch. Good bye Sonos
My understanding is that Sonos Spotify integration is limited due to Spotify not providing access to some features through their API:
https://community.spotify.com/t5/ideas/v2/ideapage/blog-id/ideaexchange/article-id/16743/

Ideally I'd like to use Spotify's own app and send to Sonos through Spotify Connect. I expect Sono's could easily add this feature with a software update but it's probably being stalled by Spotify/Sonos failing to agree / still negotiating terms. 

Hello,
I can't access the link you provided on Spotify Community. I get the error message:
You do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action.
Can you still access the link?
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Update - I happened to be on the phone with customer support this week and asked about Spotify. They had the usual response - this is really in Spotify's hands as they are not making available the functionality we are asking for for integration.

At the same time, I have really decided it is a non-problem as I've found Google Play Music to be a more than adequate replacement for Spotify in most respects and superior in many ways. I've been using both services for a while now and have not found a single track that was missing from GP that I could find in Spotify. Discovery, radio, etc. are great in GP. I love Songza, which is now owned by Google and partly integrated into GP. 

What makes it superior to Spotify for me is its handling of local files. In GP you upload your local files and they become completely integrated into your library (equivalent of Your Music) and available everywhere. None of the goofy syncing, or needing to make playlists out of local albums, etc. 

Downside is primarily that GP's social support is not as good and well doesn't have a cool app with a black theme. But other than that, if you really are upset with this issue, seriously consider Google Play as an alternative before you start selling all your equipment. 
thanks for this... i am in the process of checking out google play myself, and am really liking it so far. i like sonos a lot, so i think i'm willing to cancel spotify and sacrifice the social features to use a service that works better with sonos. also, songza could soon replace pandora for me... great curated playlists! 
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
thanks for this... i am in the process of checking out google play myself, and am really liking it so far. i like sonos a lot, so i think i'm willing to cancel spotify and sacrifice the social features to use a service that works better with sonos. also, songza could soon replace pandora for me... great curated playlists! 

Yea, Songza is great. One more thing - GP All Access includes the YouTube pass that removes ads from any YouTube music track. 
Update - I happened to be on the phone with customer support this week and asked about Spotify. They had the usual response - this is really in Spotify's hands as they are not making available the functionality we are asking for for integration.

At the same time, I have really decided it is a non-problem as I've found Google Play Music to be a more than adequate replacement for Spotify in most respects and superior in many ways. I've been using both services for a while now and have not found a single track that was missing from GP that I could find in Spotify. Discovery, radio, etc. are great in GP. I love Songza, which is now owned by Google and partly integrated into GP. 

What makes it superior to Spotify for me is its handling of local files. In GP you upload your local files and they become completely integrated into your library (equivalent of Your Music) and available everywhere. None of the goofy syncing, or needing to make playlists out of local albums, etc. 

Downside is primarily that GP's social support is not as good and well doesn't have a cool app with a black theme. But other than that, if you really are upset with this issue, seriously consider Google Play as an alternative before you start selling all your equipment. 

For me, Google is not an option as I don't want it to extend further its access to my private information. I also give priority to a European provider rather than an American one.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Here are the respective threads.

I recommend that you continue the discussion there and vote in those thread as the Sonos team provides periodical updates. But to be clear on the expectations, no commitments being made by Sonos.

From reading between the lines Google Cast might be a potential candidate for integration beyond the Google Play Music app, but emphasis is on "may be, or may be NOT"

Spotify Connect: 
https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/support_spotify_connect_to_allow_users_to_use_the_spotify_app_as_...

Unresponsive Support: Has lots of Sonos engagement and elaboration around implementation for streaming support including Bluetooth and AirPlay
https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/unresponsive-sonos-support
Hi everonye. Just add an Gramofon (https://gramofon.com/) to the line in of eg Play:5. Then you can play Spotify on any Sonos speaker through the Spotify app via Spotify Connect
Hi everonye. Just add an Gramofon (https://gramofon.com/) to the line in of eg Play:5. Then you can play Spotify on any Sonos speaker through the Spotify app via Spotify Connect
That's a very expensive amplifier.
Userlevel 2
Just adding another voice to this thread. C'mon, Sonos. Make your software experience as good as the hardware one!
OK. Good. Now....... IOS???????????
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
iOS will be available when version 5.4 is released, but we don't run public betas for iOS devices.
Just installed new beta version on ipad and now integration with spotify isn't working anymore! Good job.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Are you getting a specific error message? You might need to re-authenticate your Spotify credentials on Sonos. If you have any further trouble or just some notes we'd love to get your feedback through the beta form here.
That option (authentication) isn't in the menu anymore.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
That option won't be available on your iOS devices as there isn't a beta version of that controller. Mis-matched controllers have limited access to the settings of devices on different versions. You can authenticate from any Android, Windows PC or Mac controller.
It is working on both my iPad and iPhone.
Userlevel 1
Hi Ryan,

This is very good news and just in time as I was about to return my entire system because of no progress and no response from Sonos for a long time. 
This is a good start to make Spotify properly integrated, however I'm still missing the option to browse "Your Music" based on Albums and of course Artists.
Dan: And how did you re-authenticated your spotify account? Also on your ipad/iphone?
Badge +1
This is great news! - Thanks for listening!
I have one question though: Will it be possible to shuffle-play an artist (or just simply to choose an artist and then push the play button to listen to the entire artist-catalogue) without having to make a playlist? This is one of the features, that I really miss when using spotify within the sonos software...
Feels like a tipping point one way or other for Sonos.  I have loved my system for a long time but without full Spotify Connect not to mention what might happen with Apple Music, it could soon feel like I have a lot of expensive hardware that is close to obselete.  I used to recommend Sonos to everyone.  it's hard to do that at the moment.

Whatever contracts and negotiations are going on behind the scenes, I hope there's a resolution soon.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Ryan, great news.  Do you have an estimated timeline for full release that would include IOS?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The blog post indicates in next few weeks it is going to go from beta to full release. I would suspect right after the July 4th holiday so they can be fully manned for any support needed in U.S.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
This thread is regarding full integration into the sonos app as many prefer. They have just pretty much addes that. If you are talking about out of app control (which I and many would much less prefer) then that is topic for another thread. Personally j see in app integration as superior in providing uniform interface (family and guest friendly) while also allowing multiple spotify streams from a single account (also family friendly). And that is what this thread is all about - getting all the sonos app advantages along with the full offering of each service. Per sonos blog their newest development kit for providers has a lot more tools in it and we can expect other services to also be expanding their sonos offerings (great for everyone).
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Unless they want to get it out before the 4th so iOS users can show off their sonos better at their July 4 Barbeque.