Skip to main content

This might interest Sonos support people. Sonos app, S2 started acting up in the past two months where it would suddenly close for no apparent reason. It would do it once a day. Then few times a day and finally, 5 seconds after opening it. It was unusable. I checked the event logs and found these message ‘Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll’ pointing to Sonos as the originator. I contacted Sonos and strangely, they were not very interested in it but instead asked me to contact Microsoft. We all know how it would end. Microsoft would ask to contact whoever wrote S2 app and put some garbage in it. It’s normal. I would do the same.

So, I ended up reinstalling the entire Windows 10. I wanted to start from clean. It worked fine the first day. Then, it started again. Maybe every hour. I checked this forum and found one post mentioning how to make sure that Sonos works smooth (it’s not that it helped my problem but pointed me in a right direction). I didn’t find anything wrong with my setup but…...noticed something weird with what Sonos was doing. 

It is where you setup which apps are allowed to communicate through Firewall. There were 2 entries for SonosLibraryService and both of them were checked. I found it a bit stupid. I don’t see any other apps repeated twice. I unchecked the second one and………..I haven’t had the problem since.

Stupidly enough, shortly after, I went to the same settings again and found the THIRD!!!! entry there. At least it was unchecked. I still don’t have any issues.

The screenshot shows what it looked like before (minus the 3rd instance). I left only one enabled.

I hope this helps someone and some Sonos developers would look into that. I don’t thing it’s Windows that likes Sonos so much that wants to have as many its entries as possible.

Does anyone have an explanation for such behavior?

A crash in kernelbase means nothing, that’s where every exception ends up. What is more useful is the callstack leading to it, or the WER report (Windows Error Reporting).

Go to “View Reliability History” (via the start menu), find the crash(es) for sonos.exe, double click on them and a lot more useful information will be shown.

I wished I had known that earlier. “Unfortunately” I can’t check it because I reinstalled Windows and all’s good. But, I’ll keep this in mind. 

At least this kernelbase crash made me dig into it and helped me solve my problem. Maybe this is not the real root cause and only byproduct of something else but so far I’m good.

I thought you still had the same problem after the reinstall? “Then, it started again. Maybe every hour“ - WER data is saved for days/weeks so it should be there still.

It started again but I managed to find a way to work as I explained later.

Unfortunately, that happy period didn’t last long. I had S2 running all day yesterday. Not a single crash. Until, late at night when I installed an update KB5009469. It crashes right after I open the app. 
I uninstalled it but the problem persists. At least I intercepted the the crash event details. Here they are:

Description
Faulting Application Path:    C:\Program Files (x86)\SonosV2\Sonos.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name:    CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01:    Sonos.exe
Problem Signature 02:    6.0.0.34230
Problem Signature 03:    453d4bd8
Problem Signature 04:    System
Problem Signature 05:    4.8.4360.0
Problem Signature 06:    606e71b3
Problem Signature 07:    136a
Problem Signature 08:    10
Problem Signature 09:    System.OutOfMemoryException
OS Version:    10.0.22000.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID:    4105
Additional Information 1:    2beb
Additional Information 2:    2beba6fb4680d73a8c78ca7c24ccdb46
Additional Information 3:    7a07
Additional Information 4:    7a07e5167953c4f1d65c8c1c7b08f3c3

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID:    7d8a29064aa3c5d46dde00c2fef7cab9 (2152158509430983353)

I’m not sure why would OutOfMemoryException show up here. I have 16G of RAM and at the time of crash, the memory is at around 39% used.
You say that WER data is saved for days/weeks. In my case all the logs were wiped out. I hope you do realize that I reinstalled the entire Windows. Not just S2. One would expect that this would clean all the logs (I might be mistaken though).

OutOfMemory is an unexpected error. As you have plenty, my best guess is that some piece of artwork is corrupted and the app is dying trying to load it (is the same track or station playing every time it crashes?). We know from other crashes that the artwork loader lacks try/catch blocks so this can bring down the app.

Try my Windows app (see profile) while we attempt to solve your issue.

Thanks for all your help.

I was about to post a message that the problem is gone as I didn’t see any problems for a week and it started again yesterday. I can’t keep the app  working longer that 15 seconds. It crashes on any station and any track.

What do you mean ‘Try my Windows app…..’. I checked your profile but didn’t see anything like that there (it doesn’t mean it’s not there as I might be temporarily blind 🙂 ).

What do you mean ‘Try my Windows app…..’. I checked your profile but didn’t see anything like that there (it doesn’t mean it’s not there as I might be temporarily blind 🙂 ).

Google "Phonos Universal" :wink:

I did that but I don’t get it…..why can’t I install it on my PC without registering my “devices” through Microsoft. I have to (it seems) provide a serial number of my PC and probably some more later on.

I’ve never seen any such process to install a software. I chose ‘Trial’ option and even though I didn’t install it, it tells me that I have only 29 days and 23 hours left of it. Hmmmm

I did that but I don’t get it…..why can’t I install it on my PC without registering my “devices” through Microsoft. I have to (it seems) provide a serial number of my PC and probably some more later on.

I’ve never seen any such process to install a software. I chose ‘Trial’ option and even though I didn’t install it, it tells me that I have only 29 days and 23 hours left of it. Hmmmm

Have you never installed anything from the Microsoft Store before? No idea what you are referring to regarding serial number though. The 30 day trial starts when you install it. Should be plenty of time to figure out if you want it or not.

No, I haven’t as I never had a need for that. It somehow insists that I have a Microsoft’s hardware even though my 2 other old computers are already somehow registered there (I’ve never done it intentionally).

I know this has nothing to do with the thread above but it looks like I’ll just have to trust you that the Phonos Universal is a better app as I’ll never be able to see it in action :)