Enqueue full albums from a UPNP server

Userlevel 2
I have an XBMC server that serves its library of music via UPnP. When I configure my Sonos to 'Show Rhapsody UPnP Servers', my Sonos controller will see XBMC and allow me to play music from it. However, there seems to be no means to enqueue an entire album... I must enqueue each song separately. Is there an option to enqueue entire albums from a UPnP server that I've simply overlooked, or is this action unavailable in the Sonos app?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Keown100,

Using the PC software you can press the check mark beside the first album or track, hold shift, then the check box on the last album or track. This will highlight the whole selection and you can then add them all to your Queue. 

UPnP servers also have the option to add an entire album when you go into that album, there should be an option for Complete Album. You can also just drag the album into your queue to do the same thing.

Thanks
Userlevel 1
There does not seem to be anyway to do this on the Android app. When you long press an album, there is no menu that pops up allowing you to add all of the underlying tracks. Given this I'm reraising this as it seems more like an app limitation. (other controllers can add all the track from an album just fine)
Badge +2
Hi Keown100,

Using the PC software you can press the check mark beside the first album or track, hold shift, then the check box on the last album or track. This will highlight the whole selection and you can then add them all to your Queue. 

UPnP servers also have the option to add an entire album when you go into that album, there should be an option for Complete Album. You can also just drag the album into your queue to do the same thing.

Thanks

As you say "Using the PC Software...", but this option is still missing from both the Android and the iOS apps. When are you going to pay attention to what we want instead of just focusing on adding external services?
We are still many who want to use the old music files that we have locally instead of adding another service. 
Userlevel 2
Just wanted to add my voice to this too - seems crazy that you can't add an entire album from the android app when using UPnP shares.
I'm really frustrated with this.
Badge
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Add option to queue up full albums in folder view (windows media server). I'm using the Sonos PC Controller connected to a Windows Home Server upnp share. If I browse it by Folders, I assumed I could select (or right-click) a folder and choose to 'Play Now' or 'Add to Queue'. Instead it looks like I have to open the folder and select all the files. What am I missing?

That's not too bad when I have keyboard shortcuts on a PC, but I'd also like to be able to queue a upnp folder from the mobile apps.
Badge +2
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Why is it not possible to select all the songs in a playlist and add them to the ....
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
We wanted to merge these requests together for you. To clarify, when using a Rhapsody UPnP server as a library for Sonos there isn't an option to play All Tracks in a field using any of our controllers. There is an All albums option within the "Recently added albums" but that is currently the only location you'll find this option.

Some applications use the same or similar protocols for UPnP that Rhapsody UPnP Servers use and will show up when you have that option enabled. 

We've switching this thread over to an idea or feature request for you. We'll update you if there's anything new or if the addition gets implemented. Please follow the thread here if you'd like to get updates.
Windows UPnP servers have an "all tracks" (or complete album) which should be available from any Sonos controller. This All Tracks or Complete Album is an option from any of the sort views except for within Folders view.
I just started using a Sonus Play 3 today to access my music collection via a UPnP server. Is there any way to play an entire album? Surely this is a basic feature!
I definitely want to sign up on this feature aswell, seems it would be fairly basic to get in. I'm streaming form Foobar UPNP server, and while I also use the Music Indexer (and it's better) I cannot play 24bit files via it, and therefore I need downsampling features - like in a UPNP server.
I'm pretty sure the Plex implementation includes a downsampler for hires. See this link:

https://www.plex.tv/apps/streaming-devices/sonos/
I believe Plex downsample everything to 320...
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
At the moment, Plex isn't transcoding anything in some playback instances (single tracks work, full albums don't seem to), though you're right, Kroem that it will (at this time) transcode to 320Kbps MP3 when it's working. Plex folks seem to have abandoned the Sonos forum on their own site, for whatever reason, so there's no way to get answers to questions regarding FLAC transcoding from someone with any kind of official voice on the matter, but it has been asked that High-res FLAC files be transcoded to 16/44 (or 48) FLAC instead of 320 MP3.
At the moment, Plex isn't transcoding anything in some playback instances (single tracks work, full albums don't seem to), though you're right, Kroem that it will (at this time) transcode to 320Kbps MP3 when it's working. Plex folks seem to have abandoned the Sonos forum on their own site, for whatever reason, so there's no way to get answers to questions regarding FLAC transcoding from someone with any kind of official voice on the matter, but it has been asked that High-res FLAC files be transcoded to 16/44 (or 48) FLAC instead of 320 MP3.
Ok, didn't know that it's hit/miss, I was basically assuming from any other playback on Plex Music. The highest resolution you can pick for music is 320 me thinks though, would be nice if you'd be able to select like 1410(or whatever it is).

I can on Foobar, but the UPnP client functionality of Sonos is lacking functions, sadly.
Badge
As a classical music fan a feature to play an entire album on a uPnP server when using an IOS or android app ( I use Mediamonkey ) is essential. Hopefully Sonos will add this function to the app in the near future.
This issue has been around for a long time. Why are you not doing anything about it SONOS? This is utterly senseless - I don't want to have to manually add each track from an album.
I've just bought a Sonos device.
This is really unexpected and frankly ridiculous. I can't get around this in the android app.
With all the futuristic approach of wireless, etc... I didn't thought that I wouldn't be able to do something that can be easily done with a cassette player, a vinyl player, a CD player, an MP3 player, in other words: PLAY AN ENTIRE ALBUM.
And I know that you say that with the desktop app can be done. I want to do it with the android app.
If it can be done with a desktop software, I can't imagine why the option isn't available in a mobile app
PLAY AN ENTIRE ALBUM.
You can, using all the services -- and local library -- supported by Sonos. In fact it's the default action, if you select a single track, to enqueue the entire album.

If you're trying to use a generic DLNA/UPnP server, functionality will vary. Sonos has never really supported them fully.
Ok, thank you for your answer, I understand that Sonos can't support every generic server, but my problem is that I can't add folders to the Windows Sonos app. I allowed it in my firewall, it can see what I am playing, but when I try to add folders, it says that it can't find my computer on the network. So I've tried the UPnP solution with the foobar2000 plugin.

And I really don't understand that if I can add an entire album to "My Sonos", because the Sonos app can play the foobar2000 content and add the whole album to "My Sonos", then I can't select the whole album from "My Sonos" to add to the queue. This is what is really not understandable to me.

Sorry for the caps on my complain, but I've navigated the many threads with both issues and I can't find a solution
I've deleted the network connection and re-connected in Windows and selected to find network drives, etc... and now I can add folders to the Sonos desktop app 😃