Easily switch the music from one room to another

• 24 October 2012
  • 41 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4
I have different rooms equiped with wall-mounted Play 3 devices. I would appreciate for an easy way to switch the music from one room to another. This is particularly useful if I spent some time building a playlist or selecting a radio station and that I don't want to have to go through search to find that station again. At the moment, my two options seems to be: 1- Stop the music in Room 1, then start music in Room 2 (need to rebuilt my playlist or search the radio station) 2- Group Room 2 to Room 1, and then ungroup Room 1 from Room 2. Both of those options are inelegant. If I could have some kind of "Sent to" function (or drag and drop a room on another one) that would be great.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

41 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
When you find station you like hit the ... beside station and save the station to mrouter favorites. Then when you go to the my Sonos bottom right corner menu it will have all your favorite stations right there for selecting.
Badge
Thank You Chris
I will explain my need and maybe it will become clearer
Because I really thing that the simple things I want to do are too complicate to be practical with SONOS

I usually have three source
- One Radio Station : Source for Player 1
- A set of folder on my WDMycloud let say My Favourite 1 and I set a shuffle all on it For Player 2
- Another set of folder on my WDMycloud let Say My Favourite 2 and I set a shuffle all on it For Player 3

Example of Use
Player 1 is the Bedroom
Player 2 is my office

I hear the Radio in BedRoom
And favourite 1 is Shuffling in my Office

Now I go in the Office and want to switch the Radio there and let my Girlfriend listen to Favourite 1 in Bedroom

I get headache to try to do that easily with SONOS
Altough I'm a developper and I know a bit about computer logic, the UI logic of SONOS is deseperately BAD !
Any change you want to made except On - Off and volume takes minutes to be find cost a lot of mistakes and disapointment to set things as you expect
So hazardous that I now give-up before to try
I want to work and have the pleasure to hear my music and not have to work to understand how to get my SONOS working simply.
So I'm fed up to loose time on it
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Always use the room menu at bottom to chose room you want to control. Then browse to pick sources. You can also put frequent sources under my Sonos to easily get to.

We should see update in ui coming where the. At is always at bottom and you don’t have to swipe down my playing to access
Badge
Thank you Chris
When I'll get minimum 30 minutes to spend on it feeling calm I will review it again !
You cannot swap 2 different sources from one room to another. That is impossible. You can switch a source from one room to another, or from one room to multiple rooms. But you cannot take room 1 and send its source to room 2 while simultaneously sending the source from room 2 to room 1.
Badge
Thank you jgatie
This is what I've understood unfortunately
So the only alternative to get it easy is as Chris suggestoted to be able to have al Shortcut list of "Favourite" and be able to easily attach a station to an item of the list
Unfortunately "easy" is not the mood for SONOS
Badge
To define this UI situation, I would say that when defining an UI there is two common approach
The good one : User Oriented approach which is :
What can be the user user needs ?
Then try to answer giving easy acces to feature that can fit these needs
Unfortunately we mostly have the developper approach
Wiich is : I have a new feature in mind where can I park it ....
Olibara,

In the almost 10 years I've been posting here, yours is the first I recall of a request to swap the music in two rooms for one another. If users aren't requesting the feature, you can hardly fault a UI desiger for not including it as a user need.
Badge
Thank you jgatie
But this is not right
In fact the first post of the current thread was exactly what I'm looking for
Thank you jgatie
But this is not right
In fact the first post of the current thread was exactly what I'm looking for

No, I'm afraid it is not. Read the thread again. The OP was requesting to easily move music from one room to another, without grouping the rooms, hitting Done, then hitting Group again, then separating the group and hitting Done again. They misunderstood the process, because what they requested is very easily done by unselecting the first room and selecting the second, then tapping Done. This was was subsequently explained in the thread. But moving a single stream from one room to another is different from swapping two rooms with different sources, something I have never heard requested before.
Badge
Ok
Lets say nobody asked ...
So it is not a need : no need to do something
But on the other hand I see many many complains about the UI
There the answer is "Yes but some like it"
So at the end whatever you ask or not there is no hope for something better !
Nobody is saying the UI is perfect, even those who claim to like it have explicitly stated that there are things that need to change. That is quite different from a single person asking for something that has never, ever been requested before.
Badge
Ok Ok jgatie,
You are right
But if you understand between the lines what I'm saying is that having a well designed UI with some natural features can help to exhause other need
Having for example an easy access to a list of favourite adn being able to easily build it would certainly help thousand of user and will feed my need somehow
Sonos has promised easier navigation and better contrast will be addressed in the coming releases.
Badge
so there are some hope in the air !
They sould also launch a survey to capture user needs and feedback
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
This community post is self explanatory about the complexity of this new controller...

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/how-to-change-rooms-in-version-8-2-6795812

open, close, open,...