• 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Please Sonos,
provide a dual mono output on connect:amp for using in two separete rooms
please, please, please
thanks
Andrea

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Has there been any more progress in the dual mono setup of connect amps? I have an installation to do where this would be suitable with over 6 amps with 12 stations plus 5 more amps for stereo / surround in one premise.
unless there are hardware limitations in the Amp?
There evidently are. The amplifiers can't be bridged.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
HI Andrea,

Thanks for the suggestion, there's an Idea thread here already on the topic which I'll merge your thread to. No news at this time on making a CONNECT:AMP for Mono, or adding support for it. But we'll update that thread if anything new comes up.

Thanks
No, there is no mono output.
Dual mono - two Connect:Amps in mono mode, paired as stereo in the app - would be amazing and able to drive any size speakers (unless there are hardware limitations in the Amp?)
Userlevel 3
You are all on the right track. I too have a situation (long patio) where I want to have 2 speakers running off of a single Connect:Amp but NOT in stereo mode. Just wanted to highlight one technical point. What we all actually want is a summed stereo signal to both channels. A mono signal would be either a true mono signal (single channel of info) or only 1 of the 2 stereo channels fed to both speakers. That would be a problem if you have an early Beatles recording where drums are in 1 channel and vocals in another. You’d end up with only 1 channel or the other & miss a lot of content. What we really want is to take both channels, sum them together to make a single (mono) channel & then feed that single channel to both amplified outputs. Sorry to get nerdy, but what we want is a summed stereo feed that goes to both channels, not simply a mono signal. Yes in the end, both approaches yield a mono signal, but how we get there is meaningfully different in what we hear. To back up what someone else wrote, buying a Connect & a separate power amp that supports “summed stereo” would accomplish the end result we all want, but is overkill, pricey, & takes up an unnecessary amount of space. I also agree with others in that this feature is smack dab in the middle of Sonos’ wheelhouse & is a surprise that Sonos after so many years still has not addressed this.
What we really want is to take both channels, sum them together to make a single (mono) channel & then feed that single channel to both amplified outputs. Sorry to get nerdy, but what we want is a summed stereo feed that goes to both channels, not simply a mono signal.
So long as you have basic soldering skills it's trivial to make up a small summing box. All it requires is a couple of 10K or 15K resistors. Google 'summing network'.
I would very much like the mono output as a software solution. For my patio when I am located in certain positions I would like to be able to listen in stereo, other locations mono. For this situation it really needs to be a software option not a hardwired solution. Without understanding the internal software architecture it is hard to know, but one would assume it would be fairly simple to implement. There are a lot of requests for this feature, would make a lot of customers happy for (presumably) not much work.

Thanks