dropouts when loading webpage on iMac

• 19 December 2021
  • 2 replies

Hi,

For many years now (since 2011?) I have been using Sonos Connect:AMP to play music in my study, on or via an iMac, with separate loudspeakers.

The Connect:AMP is wired directly to a router (wired to the main modem/access point) in another room; the other Connect:AMP ethernet port is used to wire to the computer.

I have always had problems with unstable wifi in this room, so after many experiments with extra routers I went for cabled only, also to make the most of the fast internet connection.

This cabled set-up has worked perfectly for many years, but over the past two months or so (can’t remember exactly) I get Sonos dropouts constantly when loading/scrolling (heavier) webpages.

I have had the same 2019 40Gb iMac with SSD drive for almost a year and made no recent changes in the system.

I have reset the whole chain a few times but the problem persists. It occurs with all music, whether I use Sonos radio or Spotify or play music from my own library.

I have not encountered anything similar in other parts of the house, where we have a Beam and two Play 1’s, and connection is provided by the same router (wired to the main modem/access point).

I cannot but conclude that the problem is related to the Connect:AMP- ethernet- iMac setup. But I have no idea what it could be. Has anyone encountered the same, or any insight it what may cause this recent problem?

Suggestions would be much appreciated,

Yola

2 replies

I wonder if this is a case of a duplicate IP address issue, something that can occur on both a network of either type of transmission. 

Initially, I would try unplugging all Sonos devices from power, and shut down the Mac as well. Then I would reboot the router. Once the router comes back up, wait a minute or two, and boot up the Mac. Once it has come up, plug the Sonos devices back in to power. If indeed this fixes the issue, I’d encourage you to take the step to reserve IP addresses for all your network devices in your router’s DHCP table, which would help keep this issue from recurring. Instructions would be in the router’s manual.

However, if this doesn’t fix the issue, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Thank you for your super-quick reply!

I had already done what you suggest: unplugged everything. starting with the main modem, and all connected devices, reconnected them in the right order. No luck.

I looked at the connected devices in the network, and did so earlier as well, and can see no duplicate IPs. The Connect:AMp and two Play’1’s have IPs .. 2.183, 2.184. 2.185, the Beam is 2.6 (directly connected to modem or via tv, I forget which, but anyway before the router).

So I can’t really see a problem there and what’s more: this all worked perfectly up to a month or two ago. Which makes me suspect the cause may be a software update somewhere causing a conflict that wasn’t there earlier.

So I guess I’d better take your advice and submit a diagnostic.