Dead spots on CR200

• 14 November 2009
  • 312 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

312 replies

Do you still have your recently failed unit?

If you go to its Settings menu, and take the last option ("About My Sonos System").

Have a look at the Controller's serial number.
Using the pattern xx-xx-xx-YY-xx-xx-x

What is the YY value?

I think that the bad batches had yy less than 07.
Userlevel 2
I have this exact same issue. Certain letters on the on-screen keyboard can't be accessed at all which has pretty much rendered the CR200 unusable. It seems to be focused iin 2 or 3 patches on the screen. I bought it 5 months ago as part of a big multi-room system, and it has been fine until about 3 days ago.

I've emailed tech support so hopefully they'll help resolve it quickly.

Seems weird that this has happened so widely and so simultaneously. Almost like something in software has corrupted them all, but I guess that's not the case.

Jules
Userlevel 2
Any CR200 issue that is related to a touch panel failure is replaced with a new CR200. The original manufactured CR200 stock has been long since depleted at Sonos.

Recieved a "refurbished" replacement controller yesterday??? I'm pleased with the support process of replacing the controller on such short notice and I am (for the moment) convinced that Sonos did send me a controller without the known problem.
Userlevel 2
I have just had mine replaced, amazing service. I could select artist on the menu, only above and below. Got my new one today, no probs so far.
Badge
Oh well, there goes another one! I've lost track, but think that is number four.

The same problem in roughly the same place (bottom right of the screen).
Strangely there is a patch halfway up the left of the screen that is fine on the select zone screen and indeed most screens but consistently can't be selected on the Zone Grouping screen. I can only select the third zone in my list by pressing against the very edge (and I mean 1mm) of the screen in line with that zone. Bizarre

My serial number is an '07'

As per previous posts, I use the unit infrequently and don't let it get wet or dropped. I have done a reset, factory reset, removed the battery, updated software and anything else I can think of.
You're having some bad luck with the controllers there mate. I wonder if some other electrical or magnetic equipment has an affect on the CR200?
Badge
I was wondering the same thing. I think I will have to try it in another spot, which is a pity as it was good where it was.
Userlevel 2
"... Sonos has continued extremely detailed testing and analysis of all reported and returned CR200s that were suspected to have exhibited a touch panel failure from our customer base. Based on our findings, our original analysis, that only a small number of CR200s were affected from an original manufacturing build, remains true..."

I'm sorry but I don't rate that at all and I find it hard to believe in fact.

..."suspected to have exhibited a touch panel failure"? I love the covering of your arse.

This situation is bullshit. I'm sorry, but I don't know what you pay for them in the States, but out here they are $400 which is just obscene for what that are, let alone the fact that they are completely unreliable and basically Chinese rubbish! I'm now on my 3rd controller! Why can I buy a $25 touch screen phone that works flawlessly, but a $400 Sonos controller can't quite seem to make this happen? It is an absolute disgrace and almost enough for me to ditch the whole system! I don't care how quickly they replace them, it should not have happened in the first place!

I am NOT impressed!!!
If this is still happening then surely it can't just be for a particular batch? Are they still producing flawed ones now then?
Userlevel 2
If this is still happening then surely it can't just be for a particular batch? Are they still producing flawed ones now then?
This would seem the case JohnG.

I can't belive the number of people here that are making excuses for this rubbish product - everything from the way it's cleaned to the way it's put back in the charger. Good grief, let's use the phone comparison again - they get thrown around everywhere, constantly touched and missed-touched, left in hot cars, kept in pockets, bags etc etc. But remain reliable. So let's cut the making excuses for what is basically a rubbish product that was obviously released onto the market at a premium price (because they could), but was either designed very poorly, or manufuactured with very poor quailty control. Either way, I feel ripped off.

The unfortunate spin off is that on two occasions that I was demonstrating the significant advantages of the Sonos system to friends, the controllers failed - leaving me red-faced and Sonos definitely loosing two potential new customers. (This happened again tonight, which is why I am so annoyed at present!).
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Ok, so we purchased 2 CR200s when they first came out and they have worked fine until last week when I tried to add a radio show to the queue.

We had never tried this before and it failed because of a dead spot. The other CR200 worked fine when I tried the same operation.

Emailed Sonos and asked what the process was to get it replaced. Instant reply, return label and they even sent out the replacement before I returned the faulty unit.

Two days after my first email and we have the replacement unit which is working fine so far.

This is great customer service. Things go wrong for every company, it is how they correct it that matters. Sonos score high on this one!!

I still prefer the CR100 to the CR200 but that is another matter.
Userlevel 2
This is great customer service. Things go wrong for every company, it is how they correct it that matters. Sonos score high on this one!!
Yes I agree, they are at least doing the right thing in this regard and that is to be recognised and applauded. However, I am very concerned that there are still replacement units being sent out that are no better. I only had mine replaced less than 6 months ago. We are now half way through 2011 - how long has the CR200 been out for?, and yet it would seem there are still faulty units being shipped.

If I thought I could get my money back for it I would go that way and use the money to buy a wireless modem and an iPod touch (good grief though, I never thought I'd have to buy an Apple product just to use my Sonos!).
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
Gave up on the CR200 when mine was replaced for the third time - bought one new and one second hand CR100 and I have got to say I prefer them. Much more robust and cheap as chips now. I love the plethora of hardware buttons - much better.

In the market for more CR100s and will wall mount them around the house.

Cannot seem to get cradles cheap however - they seem to go for half the price of a decent controller.
Userlevel 2
Gave up on the CR200 when mine was replaced for the third time - bought one new and one second hand CR100 and I have got to say I prefer them.
That may be the way to go then. Thanks ninjabob. Although I suspect there will be very few available second hand in Australia, and I bet units from the US wouldn't work with mine. Does any one know if they would be compatable?

I have over $4500 worth of Sonos equipment and very frustrating that I have to go into my study and turn on my computer just to use it. Sort of defeats the purpose to a large extent.
I have had my unit replaced twice, but the third one has had no problems so far.

See this post for how to find out whether your latest unit is from one of the batches known to have problems: http://forums.sonos.com/showpost.php?p=131021&postcount=127
Userlevel 2
Mine has just developed the dead spot on the right of the screen and i am awaiting a replacement and then I am to send my old one back.

Does anyone know if the "new" one they send out is a brand new one, or a refubished one?

Also does anyone know if the problem will be fixed in the "new" one they send out?

Really dissapointed at how many people seem to have this problem, and even worse how long this problem has been going on. I really love Sonos and hope my "new" controller will work *fingers crossed*
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
If BarryM's assertion is correct, then all three of my CR200s ought to be duff! The relevant digits are 05 or 06.

I have certainly noticed that sometimes a little perseverance is needed to make a selection, but they usually work OK without too much trouble.

How can one check for sure whether this apparent stock fault is present or not? At least two of mine will still be within their warranty period.
Sonos have always said that the error rate from the early batches was low, but not low enough to be acceptable. ... Your units may not fail.

Also remember that they extended the warranty a further year for those batches.

An early indication in my two units which failed was that I couldn't power scroll through to end of the alphabet.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Does anyone know if the "new" one they send out is a brand new one, or a refubished one?
The replacement I was sent under warranty was a refubished unit with a serial number from the early "at risk" batch. - It has been working fine since it arrived (last week!).
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Sounds like the chances are that all should be OK here. But at least I know what to look out for! The Sonos extended warranty policy on this seems really good, and I suspect most companies send out re-furb'd units in a situation like this. Thanks for the info guys.
Userlevel 2
Yup - One of my controllers screens just started acting up - same exact symptoms. Oh well, guess I'll need to call them for an RMA
Userlevel 2
Hi guys,

My original Cr200 bought in Nov 09 failed in April 10. The replacement has just failed. Both times with dead spot problems.

The replacement that's failed seems to be an 05 series. I phoned support last week and was told I'd be receiving a replacement but nothing arrived. I phoned yesterday to be told my controller is not in the faulty batch, there is no extended warranty and it was going to cost £85 for a replacement.

I thought I received an email a while back extending the warranty to 2 years but I cannot locate it. Does anyone know the position?

I must say I'm very disappointed that an expensive piece of kit has only lasted a little over 18 months.

Would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions

Regards,

Peter
pacman42,

Touch base with support again and be sure to mention that the replacement unit has experienced an early issue.
Userlevel 2
[FONT="Arial"][/font]Yes I agree, they are at least doing the right thing in this regard and that is to be recognised and applauded. However, I am very concerned that th[SIZE="7"][/size]ere are still replacement units being sent out that are no better. I only had mine replaced less than 6 months ago. We are now half way through 2011 - how long has the CR200 been out for?, and yet it would seem there are still faulty units being shipped.

If I thought I could get my money back for it I would go that way and use the money to buy a wireless modem and an iPod touch (good grief though, I never thought I'd have to buy an Apple product just to use my Sonos!).

I ditched my B & O equipment for a Sonos (26/8/2010)- big mistake. After just under one year the two CR200 controllers stopped responding in part of the lower screen section. Replacements are working OK. Why is Sonos selling equipment which, judging by the correspondence, is not fit for purpose? Has anyone spoken to the Trading Standards Authority?
Re Barry M - both units had a YY of 06.
Userlevel 2
Badge
My Sonos Controller (the one formerly known as the Controller 200) has stopped functioning as it should. It's impossible to scroll down on the touch screen, and some of the menu commands don't respond when touched.

For example, on the "System Settings" page, The only commands that respond when pressed are "Music Library Management", "ZonePlayer Settings", and "Bridge Settings" - none of the others work, and when I try and press "Dock Settings" it selects either the item above or the one below. And I can't scroll down to access the other menu items.

I've tried resetting the Controller by removing the battery, but this has no effect. Thus the only way to hear music around the house is via the desktop controller or my iPhone. While this isn't the end of the world in itself, it's driving my wife nuts (she doesn't have an iPhone, and getting her one isn't an economic workaround), so she's threatening to divorce me unless I get it fixed.

Is this problem terminal (for my Controller, of course), or can anyone suggest a fix?

Many thanks.