Dead spots on CR200

• 14 November 2009
  • 312 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

312 replies

Userlevel 2
Wow now I am confused, my controller had this screen fault and was replaced last week. I have just received the e-mail about the extended guarantee. It seems from what I am reading that only people with controllers in a certain batch got this e-mail. So does this refer to my old CR200 or does it refer to the new one they have just sent me?

By the way, I did return the controller and the power supply, I got a new controller and power supply back, but the e-mail was confusing about that.
Userlevel 2
Important information for Sonos customers

Dear Valued Sonos Customer,

We have recently discovered a potential issue with a small number of Sonos Controller 200s (CR200) manufactured within a specific period. As a registered owner of one of these controllers, we wanted to let you know right away and inform you of our decision to extend your warranty.

Okay Guys, work this one out then. My first CR200 purchased in January of this year, developed this fault after a few months. Presumably I had one of the aforementioned "small number".

Sonos replaced it. The second CR200, developed the fault, again several months later. Presumably I had been sent a second one of the "small number"

Sonos replaced it. I have today, received the email from Sonos, detailing the extended warranty. So it looks like I may have in my possession, a THIRD one of the "small number".

Rest assured, good service or not from Sonos, if this one develops the fault, I will be less than pleased.
Can we have clarification from Sonos on this?

I received an e-mail, was this sent to all CR200 owners or just ones with controllers with certain serial numbers?

If it was just for potentially affected controllers, why do you not do a replacement program?

I for one am concerned that my controller might develop a problem just after the (albeit extended) warranty expires! Can I ask for a non-affected replacement unit rather than wait for a failure?
Userlevel 3
I received an e-mail, was this sent to all CR200 owners or just ones with controllers with certain serial numbers?

[COLOR="Blue"]-> As mentioned in the top level announcement, the email was sent to specific registered CR200 owners.

http://forums.sonos.com/announcement.php?f=12

If you have a registered CR200 that falls within the identified manufacturing period then you should have received an email notification of the extended warranty[/color]

If it was just for potentially affected controllers, why do you not do a replacement program?

[COLOR="Blue"]->If your CR200 is functioning normally then no action is required on your part. If you have a failure please contact our Support team to verify the failure for replacement.[/color]

I for one am concerned that my controller might develop a problem just after the (albeit extended) warranty expires! Can I ask for a non-affected replacement unit rather than wait for a failure?

[COLOR="Blue"]-> If you have a registered CR200 that falls within the manufacturing period specified then you are currently covered under the extended warranty. We will continue to monitor the issue going forward and address it if it persists. Although the data that we currently have indicates the extended warranty will protect your investment.[/color]
Thanks for the reply, sorry if I overlooked some of the plainly available info, I know how annoying that is :)

Fingers crossed mine either dies sooner or not at all!
Userlevel 2
I'm sorry Mike C, either you have a "small number" of potentially affected units, that were manufactured during a specific time period, that you can recall and exchange for good units or that number is not small and you don't know how many units may or may not be affected.

Fair play, Sonos have extended the warranty and for that they should be applauded, but in my own case, I have already had two faulty units and now having received the email, may well have a third and all within an eight month period. Somewhat annoying as when I started the process of requesting my third unit and asking the question, has the dead spot issue been rectified' to be told only three weeks ago, "We don't have any information regarding Controller's issues".
I've had the email and am impressed that Sonos are going to extend the warranty to 2 years 🙂

I've had my system for 8 months or so now and have mostly used the CR100 so am now going to use the CR200 all the time to see if I have one of the faulty units or not.
Userlevel 2
Well I now have a dead spot right on the play/pause button of my replacement CR200. I didn't receive an email about the extended warranty, but at this stage, I don't care, I want my money back.

For the price I paid for a remote control, I don't expect to have to send it back for repair/replacement twice within 9 months.
Userlevel 2
Whilst my replacement hasn't got a screen issue (yet?), I now can't seem to use the motion sensor feature at all. If I activate it, the unit never sleeps and the battery drains within an hour or two.
Anyone else had the issue?
Not really willing to RMA the replacement considering took more than a month to get the replacement...
Badge
Mine (less than 2 months old) has just started losing sensitivity towards the bottom.

At the same time, it has developed another problem: When in the charging cradle, with motion sensor set to be off when in the cradle, unit turns on 8 seconds after turning off. I've had to disable the sensor completely. I've contacted Sonos, and I'm waiting for their answer.
Badge
This turning on after 8 seconds could be caused by dirty electrical contacts. I've cleaned them with an eraser. We'll see...

Mine (less than 2 months old) has just started losing sensitivity towards the bottom.

At the same time, it has developed another problem: When in the charging cradle, with motion sensor set to be off when in the cradle, unit turns on 8 seconds after turning off. I've had to disable the sensor completely. I've contacted Sonos, and I'm waiting for their answer.
Userlevel 2
Add me to the list x2.

This problem with dead spots on the bottom of the screen around the play / pause button has now happended to two CR200 controllers I have owned.

One I can put down to bad luck / one of those things, but two looks like a manufacturing problem to me.

The big question I'm asking is how long is my third controller going to last. The average so far has been approximately 3 months.

I noticed the problem with the current controller after upgrading to 3.3 but this could have been coincidental.
Userlevel 2
I have had the issue surface as well...in the process of contacting support. Interestingly I too was noticing the controller not "going to sleep" in the cradle a few times recently. It makes me wonder if the screen staying lit was causing increased heat and it is somehow related to the screen defect. Who knows, maybe it is just a coincidence.

My experience with customer service in the past has been excellent so I assume it will be the same this time.
Userlevel 2
"At the same time, it has developed another problem: When in the charging cradle, with motion sensor set to be off when in the cradle, unit turns on 8 seconds after turning off. I've had to disable the sensor completely. I've contacted Sonos, and I'm waiting for their answer."

Although I haven't counted, mine seems to be doing the same thing. While in the cradle, it never stays asleep. I have reset the controller, restarted the controller, verified settings, everything.

If in the cradle, it goes to sleep and then a few seconds later, pops back on, 1 minute after that (my setting), it goes to sleep and then pops back on.

What's going on here?
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
Just had my CR200 replaced with similar "dead spot" issues - excellent RMA service from Sonos - bit worrying after only a couple of months of very light use and in view of the £259 price tag!!
Userlevel 2
Well here we go again. See my thread on 19th August. Controller number 3 has developed the dreaded dead spot. This time at the bottom of the screen and all in less than one year. Is this a record?

I cannot believe that Sonos keep sending these rubbish devices out, especially when they are aware of them. Prior to receiving the third unit I specifically asked them if the problem had been resolved, only to get the corporate reply 'we are not aware of any problems'. Followed by the two year warranty email - at least that was a big plus for Sonos.

I should have guessed if I got the email I had a suspect unit (why did they send a possible suspect unit out - did they hope it might be okay). Let's hope that when this one is replaced it's from a new better batch.
Badge
I can't compete with your record of three, but have just hit two. Sonos very efficiently replaced a faulty CR200 for me back in April but now that unit is playing up. This time it is a large section, the entire top right 3/4 of the screen. I have tried reseting, removing the battery etc. I barely use the thing, I generally listen whilst using my laptop so use the controller on that, so it is definitely not through abuse. I guess I will be calling Sonos again tomorrow and seeing if they can repeat their great customer service.
Userlevel 2
HI
I have had 2 controllers replaced without quibble due to dead spot in exactly same place each time, it was the line on the screen above the action bar, hardware fault and sonos have extended the warrenty to 24 months from purchase date. Not convinced it has been resolved, have written to CEO asking for assurances but no reply as yet. Just send it back through the right channels and claim a new one if within 2 years of purchase
Badge
Yes, I called the Sonos representative in Australia and they said much the same: send it back and they would assess it for re-replacement. They seemed to know about the problem and implied that I must have been unlucky to get a replacement from the same faulty batch, before they know which units were affected.

Now I just have to wait
Badge
The new controller arrived promptly, and without dramas.

Having a problem in the first place was annoying, but Sonos certainly looked after me well. Thank you
Userlevel 2
Have ZP90 & CR200 for 1-1/2 months (maybe longer) and like it a lot. The lower touch sensitive area (lower row-button) doesn't respond well to touch. Many times it needs to be pressed 5, 6, even 10 times before the function will actuate. I try pushing with finger, thumb, sideways, etc. and the lower button isn't working. Help!

-Gregory
Gregory,

See other sufferers in this thread. Your best bet is to contact Sonos Support.
Userlevel 2
Gregory,

See other sufferers in this thread. Your best bet is to contact Sonos Support.

Thank you. My controller was lazy from the day I started using it. Wouldn't call the lower button area dead, just that it can take between 5 and 10 presses before the selection is activates sometimes. Other times it works ok. Still like Sonos a LOT!!

-Gregory
Userlevel 2
Hi
As expected the 2nd of my 2 cr200 controllers failed last week

Again the lower part of the screen became unresponsive. It lasted about the same lentgh of time as the first(approx 10months light use)

Sonos have been very efficient in exchanging it with no fuss at all.

So I now have 2 new controllers swapped out within 6months of eachother with the remaining 9months of the extended warranty to expire.

Here's hoping they will last a lot longer than the originals!

ATB

FB
Userlevel 2
The new controller arrived promptly, and without dramas.

Having a problem in the first place was annoying, but Sonos certainly looked after me well. Thank you

I guess that's good news. I bought mine just 4 months ago, would not have been used more than about 20 or 30 times, as I prefer the 100 controller, and as of yesterday when I was showing off the system to friends, the row above the bottom menu line stopped responding. So no pause, forward or back buttons etc. As all of you, I am not impressed at all, and the fact that I was talking up the quality of sonos products and their reliabilty, I am now felling very let down - even more so reading all these issues. Guess that's what happens when you ship your production into the caves of some Asian country!

Such a shame Sonos.