Dead spots on CR200

• 14 November 2009
  • 312 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

312 replies

You should contact Sonos directly.
Userlevel 2
I'm having the same problem. It started a few days ago but there are dead spots around the screen. Very annoying and it seems there are quite a lot of people with the same problem.

Should I contact Sonos UK directly to get a replacement or should I go the shop where I bought it?

Thanks for your help.

Phone Sonos on 0808 234 6596

In my experience they're always busy but they will sample your phone number and phone you back - the process from there is pretty straightforward.

The courier picked up my CR200 to return it to base today, so looking forward to getting a replacement.

Cheers,

/g

p.s. not trying to stick the boot into Sonos, but surely all these replacements must be costing a pretty penny!
Userlevel 2
Sorry for any confusion about which components to return with regards to a CR200 RMA.

You need to only return the CR200 controller itself. Please do not return the cradle or power cord/adaptor.

Doh! Too late! (me reading your reply, I'm not suggesting your reply was tardy) Here's hoping I get the cradle and gubbins back with the replacement!

/g
Userlevel 2
Same thing happened to me on Thursday evening (in UK). 20 odd days left on warranty. Second fifth of the screen unresponsive. Contacted Sonos (Live Chat, thank you Frank !). Email from Sonos EU first thing Friday, provided credit card details for advance replace, new CR200 delivered 09:30 Monday morning.

Exemplary RMA service.
Userlevel 2
Well the replacement turned up today (I sent the old unit back two days ago - that's a quick turnaround!).

Naturally being Sonos equipment setup took about a minute, and I'm all up and running again.

An exemplary service experience; thank you Sonos. Here's hoping that the return of these units doesn't dent your bottom line too badly.

Cheers,

/g
Userlevel 2
Hi
I purchased two cr200's last august(UK).

The one upstairs started playing up approx 6 weeks ago with the same issues as previously posted.

I sent Sonos an email yesterday and they replied today asking for my contact details for a new one to be sent to!

I was astonished that they didn't ask when or where I purchased it, if it had been damaged etc etc.

Then I stumbled onto this thread today that explains everything.

Just waiting for a reply now.

Regards FB

ps my other cr200 is absolutely fine at the moment, as it is clearly a hardware fault is it unreasonable for Sonos to offer a replacement for items out of warranty?
Userlevel 2

I purchased two cr200's last august(UK).

Is it just me, or are nearly all the posters in this thread in the UK?

/g
Userlevel 2
My first controller developed this fault a couple of months after purchasing it. Sonos replaced it last March. Now this one has gone the same way. I contacted Sonos last Saturday and the replacement arrived today; just need to send the defective unit back now.

However I did ask them 'if the defective issue with the controllers had been resolved yet'. Their response was "We don't have any information regarding Controller's issues" - em!

Good service anyhow, even if I have probably been given a company line answer.
Userlevel 2
Similar to other users here- the 2nd line on my touch keyboard "ASDFGHJKL" (and that band, I can't select anything) suddenly appear to have been mineswept, just this morning... Rebooted and Factory reset - no luck.

I brought mine in UK in Feb 2010 and now I live in Copenhagen. Which SONOS support do I contact UK or DK to request a RMA?

Thanks in advance, AT
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
I recently discovered my CR200 had a dead spot too. I contacted SONOS and I am in the middle of getting a replacement via an RMA.

I discovered my dead spot when I tried to use the CR200 to set up a logon for the new music service, wolfgangsvault. The area on the CR200 where the on screen keyboard appears was dead for a number of the letters I have in my user ID and password. Using the PC controller allows me to access that music service. I feel fortunate that I found the problem with the CR200 when I did. Up to that point I had had no problems using the CR200 for other functions.
Userlevel 2
Me too - had mine replaced about a month ago. Support line didn't ask many questions, got the sense it was a recognised problem. RMA very quick and efficient. New one fine so far. Looks like there have been quite a few though!

fleckers
Userlevel 2
Hello

Received my replacement CR200 today

I see I need an Electronic returns label?

Do sonos email that out seperately?

I don't appear to have a prepaid label in any of my correspondance.

Anyone shed any light on this?

Regards

FB
Userlevel 2
Hi funnybuckles,

I sent a note to our RMA department to respond to your RMA. They should respond with you shortly.

Thanks for your patience!
Dave C
Sonos Support
Userlevel 2
Thanks David

I have rec'd the email again as below:

Dear Customer

Your returns request for the following item has been authorised.

RMA(Returns Materials Authorisation) Number: XXXXXX
Item Code: SNSCR200UK1
Item Description: Sonos Controller CR200 with Cradle
Serial Number: XXXXXXXXXXXX

Please return your faulty item (ONLY ITEM MENTIONED ABOVE) to the address below for replacement:

Computers Unlimited
The Distribution Centre
Unit 6A Handley Page Way
Old Parkbury Lane
Colney Street
St Albans
AL2 2DQ
United Kingdom

The above item(s) will be collected at our cost.

To arrange collection, please contact our courier Citylink on 01442242444 quoting the following details:

Account Number: XXXXXX
Company Name: Computers Unlimited
RMA Number: XXXXXX

Terms of this return:

All items are securely packed.
Where items are small or likely to sustain damage in transit, they should be placed in appropriate protective outer packaging.
The RMA(identified in the subject line) reference must be prominently displayed on the outside of all packaging, but should not damage or mark the original packaging.
Any items not displaying an RMA number will be returned to sender.

This doesn't look like a returns label to me??!

Am I going mad?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hello,

I have edited your post to remove the order and serial number information. Please follow the instructions provided in the email to contact the company that will pick up the product.

To arrange collection, please contact our courier Citylink on 01442242444 quoting the following details:

Account Number: XXXXXX
Company Name: Computers Unlimited
RMA Number: XXXXXX
Userlevel 2
Thanks Sid
Sonos should fix up their RMA form letter as it is still confusing.

From earlier in this thread:

Sorry for any confusion about which components to return with regards to a CR200 RMA.

You need to only return the CR200 controller itself. Please do not return the cradle or power cord/adaptor.

But the RMA form letter still seems to indicate that the cradle is to be sent into Sonos.

I have rec'd the email again as below:

Dear Customer

Your returns request for the following item has been authorised.

RMA(Returns Materials Authorisation) Number: XXXXXX
Item Code: SNSCR200UK1
Item Description: Sonos Controller CR200 with Cradle
Serial Number: XXXXXXXXXXXX

Please return your faulty item (ONLY ITEM MENTIONED ABOVE) to the address below for replacement:
Userlevel 2
Important information for Sonos customers

Dear Valued Sonos Customer,

We have recently discovered a potential issue with a small number of Sonos Controller 200s (CR200) manufactured within a specific period. As a registered owner of one of these controllers, we wanted to let you know right away and inform you of our decision to extend your warranty.

Specifically, a single area or areas of the touch screen may be unresponsive to normal touch usage. The reported failure rate, while low, does not meet Sonos quality standards. Therefore, Sonos is extending the product warranty for your Sonos Controller 200 for an additional year at no cost, in the event it fails in this manner.

If your CR200 is functioning normally then no action is required on your part.

If you are experiencing a defective touch screen, simply contact our Customer Service team and they will process your return.

www.sonos.com/support/contact

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Sincerely,

The Sonos Quality Team

==========================

[Mod] Go here for an updated version of this Sonos announcement
Userlevel 2
I've just returned my CR200 and got a replacement very quickly. All very painless and testament again to the quality of the customer support Sonos provides.
Userlevel 2
We have recently discovered a potential issue with a small number of Sonos Controller 200s (CR200) manufactured within a specific period.

It would be helpful to know serial numbers in order to assess the likelihood of eventual failure of a unit.
It would be helpful to know serial numbers in order to assess the likelihood of eventual failure of a unit.

They have updated their notification with the following:

"We have already sent an email communication to our customer’s that have a registered CR200 that are within this manufacturing period.

If you have a registered CR200 but did not receive an email notification then your CR200 does not fall within the identified manufacturing period."
.[indent] Although I am now confused. I did get an email, as quoted by Funnybuckles above. Is this the email that indicates I have a CR200 within the dud range, or was there a more specific email, which I didn't receive, identifying a particular CR200 with the
extended warranty?

[/indent]OK, scrub that last paragraph. 😮 I read the letter more carefully. I have the email, so I do have one of the affected units.
Userlevel 2
If you have a registered CR200 but did not receive an email notification then your CR200 does not fall within the identified manufacturing period."

I haven't had the e-mail, so either my anti-spam defences ate it or I'm in the clear; hopefully the latter.
You would think that it would be in their self interest to publish the serial number range, or at least provide a web page where one could enter a serial number and get a verdict.

Who feels ready now to go out and buy a new CR200 with the knowledge that there is a blighted batch floating out there somewhere? A CR200 here costs the equivalent of $US540. I would be expecting a device that lasted beyond two years for that, so a one year extension to the warranty is a poor deal IMO.

I have had one fail already, and if screen fails in an important area it is an immediate brick.

Is there any assurance that the dud units have been completely cleared out of the wholesale and retails chains? In all countries?

Without a list, or facility such as above, how can we be sure?
Userlevel 2
I'm a bit concerned by this.

I purchased mine in August last year but have only just started using it. :o

Does it degrade with use or over time?

If Sonos know that a particular batch are faulty they should recall the batch not just increase the warranty by 1 year. Knowing my luck it will fail just outside warranty.
Userlevel 2
Hi

I purchased 2 controllers in Aug '09.

The one I use 99% of the time developed the problem after approx 8-10 months.

Sonos swapped it no fuss.

I now have moved my other one downstairs as I use it the most - hopefully if this is also faulty it will present itself sooner rather than later.

The serial no. 000000000

I don't know if this info will be removed by the moderator but I hope it helps?

Cheers

Edit: In the interest of privacy, I removed the serial number. Unfortunately, I cannot remove the serial number from any search engine caches that may have already scraped the forums. --buzz

FB