Dead spots on CR200

• 14 November 2009
  • 312 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

312 replies

Userlevel 2
Hi - I too have places on the CR200 that are unresponsive... bottom right and top right of the screen. I have actually had the problem for a few months now, not realising it was so widespread until I found this thread (253 posts in just one thread.. not to mention all those that have issues but don't voice it online). My controller is now well out of warranty.

It's a little unfair that Sonos does not appear to have really fixed the issue, instead seemingly replacing one unit with another that ultimately develops a similar issue.

For a controller that's not cheap this is a pretty poor proposition. I thought highly of Sonos until this issue... and recommended it to all of my friends. However now I really question the company's integrity in not addressing the problem appropriately (i.e. a redesign and recall of faulty units).

In my humble opinion Sonos is operating on borrowed time. I wonder how they will do when a company such as Apple or Google launches a competing product. With issues such as these tainting the view of Sonos reliability / ethics, I for one know where I'll put my money when a competing system is launched.

O.
My controller is now well out of warranty.

Sonos extended the warranty period.

Place a call with them. They may replace the unit.
Userlevel 2
Sonos extended the warranty period.

Place a call with them. They may replace the unit.

Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a shot. Regretfully I now live overseas so will need to pay for postage back to the USA (no international warranty if purchased in the USA, even though there is an authorised Sonos dealer in my country...) but I guess it's cheaper than buying another unit.
They may allow you to post to your local support company.

They may just need proof of failure. They replace the failed units, not repair them.

It is worth asking.
Userlevel 2
Had similar issues with regards to living in different country from original purchase - not a big deal with most hardware, but the failure rate on my Sonos kit has been at around 30% of all hardware I've purchased so a major headache. Would be very interested if you have success arranging to return to a local retailer, as I've tried to negotiate this with Sonos before but to not avail, and their service (here is Australia) is woeful.
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
In case this helps as a datapoint:
I purchased my Sonos gear in Germany and have been living with it in several different countries. Right now in Abu Dhabi - UAE. My CR 200 failed and I inquired with Sonos support as to my dilemma. They simply advised me to send the controller in to their service partner in Hong Kong (apparently the closest one).

A new controller was returned to me free of charge within 3 days.
.. but the failure rate on my Sonos kit has been at around 30% of all hardware I've purchased so a major headache. Would be very interested if you have success arranging to return to a local retailer, as I've tried to negotiate this with Sonos before but to not avail, and their service (here is Australia) is woeful.

I have also had a high failure rate from my Sonos equipment (CR200 multiple times, S5 and two ZP90s also).

Have had nothing but good experiences from Sonos support people in Australia.

I don't think that they would support out of region h/w, as they are probably only remunerated for kit that they sell. If you wanted to arrange out of region support you would probably need to firstly call the support structure in the region which is paid to provide your support.
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
Hi,

With regards tomwrights comment about service in Australia, while I'm 12 months into massive problems with dropouts on my Sonos network and have been more than somewhat grumpy at times, I have nothing but praise for the service and support provided by Playback Systems in Australia. In fact, in the first stages of the problem, they were far better than the initial direct Sonos support, but the problem has been handed back to Sonos support a few months ago and they too have been very attentive and helpful. For anyone wondering, the problems haven't gone away entirely but performance has improved through various changes we have discussed and implemented. In fact if it wasn't for the standard of support and service I've received over the last year or so (not to mention the time and effort Ratty put in to my initial queries here) I'd be long gone as a customer.

Cheers
Chris
Userlevel 2
I've had two controllers pack up on me over the last year with both screens developing dead spots. The shop I bought them from offered a full refund which I took over chancing a replacement controller for a third time. Based on the number of people who have reported this problem on these forums it seems quite clear this product is not fit for purpose.
Userlevel 2
I have a dead spot right where the advance button is. I have tried everything including factory reset. Is there anything to try or just cry ?
thanks
forum search is your friend.

see: http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?t=14761
Hi all,

I have a bit of a strange error on my CR200. All of a sudden, I have had it for just over 2 years, the touch screen seems to have developed a fault.

The bottom right of the screen no longer responds to touch input - everything else works absolutely fine. It is limited to the bottom right as seen when I try to search for things, some of the keys work and the bottom right ones don't!

Can anyone offer any enlightenment as to what I can do?

Many thanks

James
Tingle,

Welcome to the forums.

I regret to say that you're not alone, and I've merged your post which those from the similarly afflicted. You'll need to contact Sonos Support.
Should have searched better first, I didn't imagine it would be a widespread problem! Apologies.

I have just chatted with Sonos live support who have extended my warranty (it was 8 days out of date!) and are sending through RMA details.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Ratty, any idea what happens when your CR200 is well out of warranty? Got mine when they were first released but the dead area is now getting larger and less and less responsive.
Ratty, any idea what happens when your CR200 is well out of warranty?
Sonos probably treats these on a case-by-case basis. Give them a call.
Userlevel 2
My case is that my 2009 CR200 costs a flat fee of $100 for a refurb unit plus I pay shipping both ways. I like the CR200 since it has one purpose and is faster than 'waiting' for the sonos app to load on other devices, but now I have to determine is speed worth $120.....
Userlevel 2
I bought 2 CR200 units initially. Both developed screen faults within the warranty period.

The 2 replacements have now developed the same faults - just outside the extended warranty period.

I think it is time to stop mucking about with ad-hoc replacement, Sonos' capacity for which can't be unlimited anyway.

It is clear from the longevity of the problem that this was not just a 'batch fault', even though it may have appeared so in its early years.

This product should have been sorted - if such were technically possible - or swiftly abandoned. If the latter, persons with units developing faults should have been given refunds, not offered replacements.

As I understand it, the legal position in Europe is that there is an expectation of life span for units of a given type, irrespective of manufacturer's warranty. It seems to be about 6 years for a product like this.

I think it may be worth my while pressing for refunds for the 2 units through the UK Small Claims Court. If I am successful, others may care to do the same.

Any thoughts?

Fraser
Userlevel 2
Badge
My CR200 has developed 2 faults. The first is the standard 'dead zone' in the bottom right hand corner.

The second is that every now and then, the controller loses all charge, even when in the cradle. It will often then not recharge for some days. After multiple reseating of the device, it eventually charges up and is ok for a few weeks, when it will happen again.

This is already a replacement for my original CR200 which had the same 'Dead Zone' problem. Sonos were brilliant and replaced the controller without any problems (beyond the 12 month warranty).

Hopefully they will do the same again.
Userlevel 2
As I suggest above, getting a further replacement isn't the answer to anything. It is clear that these things have a fundamental flaw which is not batch-related.

Given that they are no longer being offered for direct sale, and that the replacements themselves fail, eventually Sonos will run out of replacements. There is nothing 'brilliant' about replacing a faulty unit with another which is hostage to the same fault.

You need to agitate for a refund and use the money to fund a couple of old smartphones to run the software.

Fraser
Userlevel 2
My replacement CR200 died recently. Contacted sonos, obtained RMA and replaced the unit. Brilliant service as usual.

Shame I can't say the same about the CR200 :rolleyes:

Out of interest, Sonos say they still make the CONTROL (CR200) although don't sell it now. I guess they are still expecting the return of a lot of duff units.
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
John Lewis @ Bluewater had them for sale yesterday.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I'm on my 3rd controller in 2 years.

Both failures have been bottom right hand corner of screen. Sonos has dealt wonderfully with the replacements. No hassle, next day pick up from my house and delivery of a new one a few days later.

So, for now, I am happy. However, if it happens again, I will have to consider other options.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Sonos probably treats these on a case-by-case basis. Give them a call.

So the dead spot on my controller has got worse and now covers the play now and add to queue function making the controller useless.

I contacted SONOS and got a response from Gary Quinn asking me to remove the battery and replace it to see if that helped, if not they would process an IN WARRANTY RMA.

The battery thing worked until recently.

I contacted Gary again asking for the RMA but now they will not do it as IN WARRANTY eventhough I have an email stating they will. They want £100 now.

So by putting up with having to remove and replace the battery every week I have now got to pay £100!

Not impressed at all. I always held customer support in high regard unil now.
Userlevel 2
I was seeking support for the general principle that repeated failures should be handled through the Small Claims procedure, if the owner is UK-based. I think there is a legal right to more than 2 years' use with a device such as this.

I got no replies at all!

What do you think?

Fraser