Skip to main content

Dark Mode available now. S2

• 29 October 2021
  • 37 replies

So now Dark mode is enabled?  It’s in settings-app preferences-appearance.

This must have been part of 13:3:2  but I’m sue it wasn’t turned on then.  Seems to have been activated later, or maybe I’ve only just noticed, although no one else seems to have noticed either😳

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

37 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hey @Bumper and @BMF,

Could you try fully closing the Sonos app, toggling the dark/light mode settings inside iOS, then checking to see if the option shows up inside Sonos?

Hi James,

tried that and it did not make any difference. 

It eventually worked after I deleted the app, set the iPad to dark mode, downloaded the app and logged in.

S2 was then in Dark mode…. Settings were then available, I changed the system back to auto and S2 app is now behaving with following the system preference.

very odd

Badge +17

Hey @Bumper and @BMF,

Could you try fully closing the Sonos app, toggling the dark/light mode settings inside iOS, then checking to see if the option shows up inside Sonos?

Hi James,

tried that and it did not make any difference. 

It eventually worked after I deleted the app, set the iPad to dark mode, downloaded the app and logged in.

S2 was then in Dark mode…. Settings were then available, I changed the system back to auto and S2 app is now behaving with following the system preference.

very odd

Interesting. Thanks for sharing what worked for you. I’ve shared this with our engineers for investigation. I’m glad you were able to get dark mode enabled in the end :slight_smile:

Hey @Bumper and @BMF,

I tried the suggested with no change. But I did get it to work on my phone after I deleted and reinstalled the app again. I might have also forced closed it …. It’s a nice improvement to the app thank you. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Not sure if this is an overnight or by design….

but “software update” and “submit diagnostics” both revert from dark mode to “light mode” when accessed in dark mode.

there may be other screens, but these are the ones I have discovered.

Can I ask for clarity, please? For instance, I went to Settings>System>System Updates>Check for Updates, and it was still in dark mode, but I have the feeling I didn’t do the same thing as you, as the terms you’re using aren’t the same as mine. It’s only the popup that isn’t in “dark mode”, but the background stays in dark mode.

Similarly, when I go to Settings>Support>Submit Diagnostics, it’s also in “dark mode”, or at least the background is. The popup that appears is not.

Are you calling out just the popup, or a larger issue? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Ahh, yes you are right they are pop ups, but as they are full screen, I did not think of them. As pop ups or cards.

I did notice the smaller pop ups remained as white, which made sense, but as the updates and diagnostics were full screen it did not occur to me.

even so, it is a bit jarring to be looking at a dark screen then to suddenly have full screen in light mode…. Less so in the smaller pop ups, but still a bit inconsistent. 

just checked the consistency within iOS itself and if you go into App Store and updates there, a similar full screen pop up happens and it remains dark, which is the sort of consistency I would expect…. Without really giving it much thought beforehand 🤣.

not a complaint, more an observation / comment 

Heh. I happened to be on my iPad, so they weren’t full screen for me….but I hear you, and agree.  I think it’s valuable feedback for the UI folks at Sonos, so hopefully one of the forum moderators will take it back to the team, so that they can “fix” the popups as well. 

I’d hope that fixing it is relatively simple. It “should” be the same code for all pop-ups, and hopefully each of them isn’t a separate instance. Having said that, I’ve been in situations where each popup was handled separately, and that was a mildly frustrating discussion with the engineers, although they ended up having a perfectly reasonable explanation at the time. We’ll have to see :)

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Yeah, it could be a right pain for them to sort out, but hopefully not.

I just tried it this morning, once dark mode had turned off and it goes from a very light grey to a brilliant white.

I had not really noticed the difference before, guess it is just a lot more noticeable from dark to white than light to white.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Update and try again. Sonos app ver. 13.3.3 pushed yesterday for iOS and iPadOS. I have Dark Mode available on the Sonos App for both iPhone 13 and iPad Pro 2021.

Badge +17

but “software update” and “submit diagnostics” both revert from dark mode to “light mode” when accessed in dark mode.

This is something I noticed too and have fed back to the development team. I don’t have confirmation of whether it’s intended or not, but it’s something we’re aware of :slight_smile:

If you spot any other screens that are brighter than expected please do let me know!

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

This is something I noticed too and have fed back to the development team. I don’t have confirmation of whether it’s intended or not, but it’s something we’re aware of :slight_smile:

If you spot any other screens that are brighter than expected please do let me know!

Just checked and “trueplay tuning” screen is another one in settings>system>player>Trueplay>Trueplay Tuning

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

FINALLY! dark mode! It’s only been requested for years. 

although it’s not true dark mode, more a darker grey that what was there but at least it’s not burning my eyes out anymore when using at night. 

how about an actual real dark mode Sonos? You know where the background is just black?