CR100 won't connect, but iPad, ZP80, ZP100 are connected and working a-ok!!

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

386 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I am experiencing the same problem - I can't connect the cr100. My diagnostics submission confirmation number is 4564730. Thanks in advance! - Bill
A good start would be to reboot the router followed by your Sonos players. Make sure you unplug the power for a few minutes, then plug it back in. When they're back up, try updating from a different controller.

Thanks
I am experiencing the same problem - I can't connect the cr100. My diagnostics submission confirmation number is 4564730. Thanks in advance! - Bill
Will do. Just to confirm - when I try to update from my android is app, it says the system is up to date. The issue is only with my cr100s.
I have the same problem, can not connect my cr100. Diagnostic number 4570847
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Just got you flagged for that update Ruben. Your system is also showing some wireless interference, so if you're still unable to connect that CR100 let us know.
Now it connected. Superb support! Thanks
Can you please add the controller patch to my account too? Confirmation number is 
Thanks for the prompt response, @Ryan! I applied the update. I'm still receiving "This Controller was unable to connect to a ZonePlayer or Bridge. Please try again. (1)" message on the CR100. The ZonePlayer is connected to the DSL router via ethernet. It appears as if it's acknowledging the connection attempt immediately when the Mute  and Vol+ are pressed on the ZonePlayer. It always times out with the same message above. Just re-submitted diagnostics in case it helps, confirmation 4571644. Mahalo!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Can you please add the controller patch to my account too? Confirmation number is 
Thanks John. That indicates that the CR100 is seeing the first connection signals, but isn't able to complete the process which is likely due to a network issue, or a connection problem.

I'd recommend rebooting the wireless router there to start with. You can just unplug the router for 10-15 seconds and plug it back in. When the router is back up, try to connect again.

If that fails, a good step is to confirm that the wireless network isn't getting too much interference. The diagnostic does show some interference which shouldn't be too bad, but it's possible it's just a little too much for the CR100 to cope with. You can change the channel on your system under Manage > Settings. Advanced Settings. Try channel 11 and see if the controller can connect.

Let us know how it goes.
Userlevel 1
I have the same problem where I am unable to connect any of my CR100s to my otherwise working Sonos system. I've submitted diagnostic number 4578479. Thanks in advance for your help!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have the same problem where I am unable to connect any of my CR100s to my otherwise working Sonos system. I've submitted diagnostic number 4578479. Thanks in advance for your help!
Hi Saro,

I've flagged your system for the update. Please check for updates on your Sonos controller. Once your system is updated you should be able to add your CR100s back to your system. Please let me know if it doesn't work.
Userlevel 1
Hi, Jeff. Thank you for getting back to me so quickly! When I check for updates (using the desktop controller on my Mac) it says "No Update Required"

I do have the "Automatically check for updates" box checked in my Advanced Settings, so maybe it saw the update and applied it automatically?

In any case, I'm still unable to connect my CR100. It prompts me to press the button on my bridge, they appear to find each other -- controller says it's trying to connect, orange light flashes on bridge -- but then I get the "This controller was unable to connect to a Sonos component. Please try again. (1)" message.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Saro,

Can you send us another diagnostic report? I'd like to check and make sure the update was applied properly.
Userlevel 1
New diagnostic report sent: 4580815

Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Saro,

The update was applied properly. There may be some communication errors happening between your components. I see that a few of your Sonos units have active ethernet ports but are communicating with other Sonos units wirelessly. There might be a network loop causing the CR100's connection to fail. Please start by rebooting your CR100. To do so, hold down the top left and top right buttons for a few seconds. It may also help to reboot your router. Once the CR100 and router are back online, try to reconnect the CR100.

If this does not work, please let me know and I will create a support ticket for you.
I have the same problem - I am unable to connect my CR100 to my otherwise working Sonos system. Submitted diagnostic number 4589049. I would expect that my system needs to be flagged for an update like the other posts here. Thanks in advance!
Userlevel 2
Badge
I've two cr100 that wont connect....and another two that wouldn't connect for quite some time but then after a sonoskey reset, frequency change, router reset (soft and hard) along with wired bridges turning off and on again...
suddenly started working..

still leaves me with two that refuse to add them selves...they attempt, but then fail.
 Ive tried wired, and non-wired devices..

p1, p5, zps, bridges - no joy..

would you mind trying the update with me also?

Diag: 4589703.

Just tried rebooting one of the non-connecting cr100s and noted the copyright notice says somethingsomething - 2012 ... so it's possible that the FW on the unit is quite old..

I'm not chancing rebooting one of the working ones 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have the same problem - I am unable to connect my CR100 to my otherwise working Sonos system. Submitted diagnostic number 4589049. I would expect that my system needs to be flagged for an update like the other posts here. Thanks in advance!

Hi Jonas,

I've added the update to your Sonos account. Once you check your system for updates it will install. It looks like your Sonos system is completely wireless. In order to use the old CR100 and CR200 controllers you will need to have at least one Sonos component wired in to your network. You had a BRIDGE registered to your account in the past, if you wire a component to your router then add the BRIDGE back to your system you can use the BRIDGE as the wired unit and the CR100 will reconnect.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I've two cr100 that wont connect....and another two that wouldn't connect for quite some time but then after a sonoskey reset, frequency change, router reset (soft and hard) along with wired bridges turning off and on again...

still leaves me with two that refuse to add them selves...they attempt, but then fail.

Just tried rebooting one of the non-connecting cr100s and noted the copyright notice says somethingsomething - 2012 ... so it's possible that the FW on the unit is quite old..

I'm not chancing rebooting one of the working ones :-)

Hi JanusJ,

We've added the update to your account. Please check for updates on your system and you should be able to add your CRs back to your system. I also see that there is a high level of wireless interference showing up on your Sonos system. It looks like your router's wireless channel may be set to automatically switch from time to time (a common default). This is causing interference which can interrupt communication between your Sonos units. Please set your router to a static wireless channel. Since your Sonos system is on channel 11, you can set your router to 1 or 6 and each system should no longer interfere.

May I ask, why this has to be flagged?  Why isn't this just normally part of our accounts?

Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Good question Shervin. This update isn't part of the full version of the software for a couple reasons. Mostly, it targets a very specific case which doesn't effect many systems. We're still collecting some data on the scope of the issue and so are manually applying the update to systems that need it.

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for your reply and actions. I have not been able to see that an update was available, using the normal update approach. Maybe it will be available a little later?
Yes, I have a bridge, but disconnected it (suring the process of getting a new ISP) in order for me to use the wireless ability of Sonos. It seemed redundant to have the bridge attached, but it seems that is what I need.
Will check again later for the update and otherwise reconnect the bridge.

Thanks
Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Jonas, the BRIDGE is not required but if you already own one then I don't recommend not using it as it will improve your SONOS speakers wireless range even when it's right next to the router. I believe this because i've heard that each speaker boosts the SONOSnet signal.

Josh, thanks - the reason for not using it was purely environmental :o) no use to have redundant electrical appliances...
If the update doesn't work I have no other option than to reimplement the bridge...
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi Jonas,

Having one wired Sonos unit is a requirement for connecting CR100s and CR200s. This is because the Sonos CRs connect to the wireless networks created by each Sonos unit when it is in the first wired unit mode. When the Sonos system is operating wirelessly the individual units do not create wireless signals for the CRs.

brilliant stuff.. thanks.. update fixed issue. Have changed channel already as well. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi Janus,

That is great news. Please let us know if you have any further issues.