Question

Controlling who can access your Sonos system

• 9 June 2017
  • 6 replies

Background: Guest downloads Sonos app and connects to my system. Guest then controls my Sonos remotely from their home. Result is loud music played when I am asleep. How do I control who can access my system and control adding or deleting guests?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

No guests, especially those who would do such a thing, should have access to any part of your entire LAN, never mind Sonos. I'd be much more concerned with them accessing my personal documents, photos, accounts, etc., than I would them accessing Sonos.

Most modern routers have a 'Guest" network setup that only allows internet access. Set that up, change the password to your local WiFi network, and only give out the Guest password.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Running a Guest Network is a good idea as a rule.

However, you can't "remotely" control Sonos. You have to be on the network. So unless that person is connecting via VPN or something (which seems unlikely if you don't have a guest network - technical levels here) then it wouldn't work.

Or am I missing something here?
Supposedly the Spotify Direct Control implementation allows connecting through the Spotify app back to a Sonos system which is linked with the Spotify account. Not sure how it works because I'm not a regular Spotify user.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Yes, once connected by Wi-Fi you can disconnect and still control Sonos by Spotify remotely via phone signal alone.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
That is interesting. Thanks for the info.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
It's not persist persistent though and you do need to control the Sonos via Spotify on Wi-Fi first.