Skip to main content

Hi there,

I currently have two Play:1 devices and I’ve found it increasingly annoying that I can’t play BBC Sounds radio shows without going through the Sonos app (plus not all the Sounds content is available through Radio by TuneIn). So my question is this: if I buy a One SL (I’m not interested in voice control), could I use AirPlay 2 (I’ve got an iPhone XR) to listen to whatever is playing on my phone through the One SL, then group that with my Play:1 devices if I so wished?

In addition, I have a lot of songs in the Music Library on my phone (I don’t use Apple Music, these are mostly songs I’ve bought through iTunes ages ago or even copied to my laptop from actual CDs) which at the moment I can’t listen to through my Sonos speakers unless I have the laptop switched on. Would AirPlay 2 solve this problem too? 

Thanks very much in advance! :)

Sarah

Yes to both questions :grinning:

Yes that would work.

Fantastic, looks like I’m treating myself on pay day then!

Thanks very much for such quick and straightforward responses :)

One follow-up question on this actually, in case anyone might see it:

If I start to play something through AirPlay 2 on the One SL and group that with a Play:1, then subsequently wanted to listen only through the Play:1 speaker, would that not be possible? I.e. would the One SL always have to be active if I was streaming over AirPlay 2? I’m guessing the sound would just stop if I ungrouped the devices to listen through the Play:1 on its own? Or would the sound continue but I just wouldn’t be able to control it any more?

Thanks again in advance!

No, it’s not. Although you could conceivably set the volume on the Sonos One to zero, it still is required to be part of the group and be ‘playing’ the stream 

Thanks very much for your reply, Bruce