Answered

Controlling Sonos from outside the Wifi-network

• 28 May 2021
  • 4 replies

So I love our Sonos-system but i have kids that sometimes have trouble starting up music in their rooms and if not being at home we can’t really help at the moment. Been checking out different apps but not really found a good one and when asking the Sonos support the only way to do it is to remote control a unit on the network. That is possible but would really have been a lot nicer to just be able to do it through a app or something.

So guess I would like suggestions but would also like to lift the subject for a update in the Sonos app which is what i would like the most. :relaxed:

icon

Best answer by Kumar 28 May 2021, 15:40

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

You can have limited control of your Sonos speakers when you are outside of your WiFi network with some third-party smart home apps like Amazon Alexa and SmartThings. You just need to set up your speakers with Alexa or get a SmartThings hub.

If you have Sonos units with a line in jack, this can be done by setting line in to auto Play.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I started writing a “Sonos Cloud” app to control the system off wifi, but the cloud API is too lame for it to be very useful right now. Basic play/pause works, but even something simple like artwork display is broken and there’s no way to select music except from Favorites and Sonos Playlists.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Run your Sonos controller on a Windows (maybe a Mac?) and use the remote desktop tool to control the Windows app from your remote location.

I use a Raspberry Pi for my local controller host and run a third party controller on it. I can connect to that using a remote desktop tool. Here and there are a few forum topics on it too.

http://pascalopitz.github.io/unoffical-sonos-controller-for-linux/