Skip to main content

One problem is old another appears to be new.

The old problem is on just 1 PC, and, it is the PC where the controller app was first installed. Whenever there is an update to the PC controller application, it causes the system to reboot. I’ve learned to anticipate this when the menu shows an update is available. But I’m getting tired of this behavior. Having multiple Windows computers, the PC controller updates do not cause any of those other systems to reboot, why just this one?

Today while the system which has the reboot issue was busy, I did a few music library updates but when I tried to select Update Music Library, that was disabled. Going to a different system to use the PC controller there allowed me to trigger an update of the Sonos music libraries.

Seems like more hoops to jump through and IMO that’s not good.

</rant>

To me it seems strange that this behavior on only one of your computers would be caused by Sonos.

Perhaps the problem computer uses a different version of Windows?

There is no harm in removing the SONOS controller from the problem computer, then installing a fresh copy. I don’t expect that this will trigger a reboot demand, but you should be prepared -- just in case. It’s possible that there is a stale driver or dll on the system. Rebooting the PC after uninstalling the controller, before installing the fresh copy might work around such a situation.

It could be a permissions issue. The controller installer will attempt to replace the Sonos file sharing service as well.

This has been reported very occasionally here, don’t recall a conclusion. Take a look in the logs to see why Setup decided to reboot the PC.

C:\ProgramData\SonosV2,_Inc\runtime\installer.log

Thanks for the replies.

I was unaware of the logs being generated.

1/2: From a Nirsoft report, here’s when things happened:

2022-05-28 04:57:07 2022-05-28 07:03:42 2022-05-28 07:03:42 02:06:35 Software issue Installation (Planned) - No title for this reason could be found Restart msiexec.exe

0x80030002

Damn, that log is too big….

The first thing I found:

MSI (s) (30:94) [07:03:39:648]: Note: 1: 1703 2: Sonos
You must restart your system for the configuration changes made to Sonos to take effect. Click Yes to restart now or No if you plan to restart later.

To be clear, I receive no prompts from the app or Windows, it just does the shutdown/restart/reboot without any input from me.

I guess as was suggested, reinstalling the app then seeing what happens next time would be the next thing to do.