Controller App and Lyrics from mp3 Metadata

• 22 August 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge

Hi Community,

since years there is no way to play songs form a local mp3 library and simultaneously show the lyrics that are saved in the mp3 metadata. There are several threads in this forum where this missing feature has been discussed but never has been solved by Sonos.

I wonder why this simple feature isn’t implemented until today. Listen to your favourite song and reading the lyrics could be very helpful for all non native english speaking customers.

I don’t talk about lyrics from other music services like Spotify. Just simple display the lyrics from mp3 metadata - like title and cover. Maybe there’s a chance that you mark this as a new request.

Thanks, Markus.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Over 93% of Sonos usage is streaming from online sources, so local library functions are not as significant as they were when first launched.

The local library is evidently used by less and less people these days. Given earlier trends it may now be well down into single figures in terms of the percentage of Sonos usage. The vast majority of new/recent customers must surely be subscribed to an online streaming service.

It appears that Sonos now tends to view local library playback as ‘legacy’, to the extent that the New Search function doesn’t include library music. 

Badge

Hi,

I wonder from where the sources of the “percent of usage” of online service are from. I don’t think that people with local libraries are that less.

Maybe Sonos isn’t interested to support these users anymore. How could it be explained otherwise that this ‘simple’ feature of reading some lines of plain text and display it in the controller app are missing over 10 years.

Disappointing.

I don’t recall where or when it was stated that local library usage was down around 10%. @jgatie may have a reference for his figure. 

Two factors account for this. The gradual erosion of longerstanding users (age, health, defection, etc), and dilution by the mass majority who’ve joined the club in recent years since streaming become the principal modus operandi. 

As for the ‘simple’ feature of reading lyrics from metadata in the local library, we’re talking about a tiny fraction of the diminishing fraction noted above. It simply isn’t going to happen.

Hi,

I wonder from where the sources of the “percent of usage” of online service are from. I don’t think that people with local libraries are that less.

Maybe Sonos isn’t interested to support these users anymore. How could it be explained otherwise that this ‘simple’ feature of reading some lines of plain text and display it in the controller app are missing over 10 years.

Disappointing.

It came from Sonos itself, and they know the usage of every Sonos device.  Way back in 2016, it was “Well over 90%”:

https://www.billboard.com/music/music-news/video-this-week-in-music-with-sonos-ceo-john-macfarlane-1160024/

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @mke-trash

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Thank you - I've marked this thread as a feature request and it will be seen by the relevant teams for consideration. Keep the ideas coming!