Skip to main content

So I am listening to spotify with the tv on or off and I cannot control the volume with IR remote.

This can’t be how its designed???

I mean my guests do not have the app installed. and the buttons are not obvious way to control a sound bars sound.

This might help.

The article you are referring to is to control the volume of your TV, not a streaming service. So when you let your Sonos Arc “learn” the infrared command, it's actually learning the volume command of your TV. (When using an optical out)  So unfortunately when playing a music service you have to use the App, since your TV is not part of the equation at that moment. 

@Whistler Not sure you are right. When using optical the TV is not part of the equation. When using HDMI it is, because it then uses HDMI-CEC to relay commands the TV receives from it's remote to the soundbar. When using ir and optical, the soundbar is commanded directly by  the remote. This set up will make the soundbar lose it's Atmos abilities though…...

@sonodave You could enable voice control on your soundbar. Sonos has it's own (SVC) available if you have security concerns.You could switch the microphone off when you do not have visitors.

@Whistler Not sure you are right. When using optical the TV is not part of the equation. When using HDMI it is, because it then uses HDMI-CEC to relay commands the TV receives from it's remote to the soundbar. When using ir and optical, the soundbar is commanded directly by  the remote. This set up will make the soundbar lose it's Atmos abilities though…...

@sonodave You could enable voice control on your soundbar. Sonos has it's own (SVC) available if you have security concerns.You could switch the microphone off when you do not have visitors.

Apologies. You are right. I just tested this by making my Beam learn my TV remote and it can now be used for controlling volume even with the TV off.