Confused about groups

• 23 March 2024
  • 6 replies

Badge

Ok - I am new to sonos and am quite confused by groups. 

My setup: I have a stereo pair in my kitchen, and then an Arc in my living room. 

I currently have two room choices when I want to play music: “Kitchen” and “TV Room.” 

I would like to have a third choice: both. I could name this “Downstairs” or “All speakers.” I would like it so that when I press this “room” they all play. I’m very confused why this isn’t an option. 

When I go to settings, groups is greyed out, and it says it’s not available to me because I have two rooms. But I’m confused becuase I would like a group that includes both rooms. 

I’ve read online that there should be an “everywhere” group but I cannot find that. When I pull up the groupings, there is no such button. 

This all seems very illogical to me and I am getting frustrated. Thanks. 

6 replies

Badge

^ I believe this is where the “everywhere” button usually is?

Everywhere only applies to three or more rooms, if you have two rooms, as shown in the graphic, you just click on the second room, then ‘Done’. 

It’s a UI choice made by someone at Sonos. There’s some logic about it, but certainly some confusion as well in the community. 

Badge

Thanks, Bruce. Is there a way to save the setting of both rooms so I can easily select it the next time, or must I always go in and check the box for every listen? Thanks 

It should stay that way until you change it, interrupt it with ‘autoplay’ events on a soundbar, or power off one or more speakers. I have speakers that have been ‘grouped’ for months. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

But it’s still only 1click to add the second room - just like it’d be 1 click to select “everywhere” if it was an option in a two-room setup, so you’re not losing out on anything. 

Badge

But it’s still only 1click to add the second room - just like it’d be 1 click to select “everywhere” if it was an option in a two-room setup, so you’re not losing out on anything. 

I think I’m fundamentally misundertanding what grouping does (since I’m new and not allowed to have access to the feature). 

I would have thought grouping would let you create and name rooms. So I could have a “third” room called “Downstairs” that could be accessed in truly one click the way I can currently select “Kitchen.” 

I know you say I can select both rooms in one click, but that’s not accurarte from where I stand: 

1.) If I want to slect kitchen, I select “Kitchen” from speaker options (1 click) 

2.) If I want to play in both rooms, I select the rectangle thingy, select the additional room, select “done” ( 3 clicks) 

Thanks