Configure LG Magic remote with SONOS Playbar.

• 27 December 2020
  • 1 reply

Okay, so I recently received an LG ThinQ TV with the Magic Remote and had difficulty setting it up to control the Sonos system. I spent a decent amount of time researching how to do it and after following step by step processes of known setup up procedures to make it work, it still didn’t work. Needless to say, the one step that made it work was to simply turn off the tv and run the remote configuration setup through the Sonos app and it works seamlessly.  

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Smbaner6.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. Allow me to share with you some information to help out.

I would like to share with you the guide about TV remote requirements for Sonos home theater products . Based on the provided guide, Sonos products that connect to your TV using an optical cable or an optical audio adapter are only compatible with infrared (IR) remotes. If your remote only uses Bluetooth or radio frequency (RF), it may require additional configuration or may not work with Sonos products connected via optical. See our article on identifying IR remotes if you’re not sure what type of remote you have.

Below are some common remotes that don’t output IR by default and require additional setup to work with Sonos products connected via optical:

Apple TV
Samsung One
Samsung F Series
LG Magic Remote

The Sonos Playbar is one of the Sonos products that connects to the TV via optical cable. What we need is to understand if the LG magic remote can broadcast IR (InfraRed) you may contact and verify with the manufacturer to see if this is possible with your LG TV remote. Otherwise feel free to make use of any IR capable remote such as Air-conditioning unit remote, DVD-player remote, or universal remote that you might already have. 

I hope this helps.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. I’ll be more than happy to help.

Thanks,