Question

Compatibility with Mac OS Sierra

• 19 September 2016
  • 32 replies

Badge
I really never learn, do I? I updated to the MacOS Sierra when it came out, and trouble comes. A few programs is not compatible and the most annoying is Tidal on Sonos - my main source for music.

I can play radio fine and sometimes Tidal after disconnecting and connecting the wifi. Sometimes I can see the Favorites when clicking, sometimes not. But all the time when I try to add tracks or album to the queue the message is "not able to add track to the queue".

I have searched and searched - but it seems like it only me that have this problem with the Sierra update? I FEEL ALL ALONE!!!!

I am hoping for updates (Mac or Sonos) that will resolve the problem. Or maybe you guys have a solution?

Set up is iMac with Airport extreme. Fast connection.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Stein
Stavanger, Norway

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

Thank you Tom. It was the mismatching netBIOS as you predicted. Now have a happy wife. Many thanks.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hi, I am also having a post-Sierra problem. Sonos app keeps saying it is unable to access my music library. After a few tries it starts playing, then stops. Screen is set to turn off after a while, but the Mac is not sleeping. Diagnostics here: 6634939

Thanks.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hi, I am also having a post-Sierra problem. Sonos app keeps saying it is unable to access my music library. After a few tries it starts playing, then stops. Screen is set to turn off after a while, but the Mac is not sleeping. Diagnostics here: 6634939

Thanks.

Additional piece of info is that when I wake up my screen the sonos on the Mac is there, but doesn't show the usual 3-panel screen. Something is obviously going to sleep.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Thank you Tom. It was the mismatching netBIOS as you predicted. Now have a happy wife. Many thanks.
Hey kapu, no problem! Glad to hear it worked.

Additional piece of info is that when I wake up my screen the sonos on the Mac is there, but doesn't show the usual 3-panel screen. Something is obviously going to sleep.

Fat_Al, I think you may have a similar problem. Your netBIOS name is "Fat Al’s New iMac Feb-14" but the hostname is set to "Fat-Als-New-iMac-Feb-2". Have a look at this article which describes how to find and change these names. I would advise keeping them all a bit shorter, and make sure they are all the same. Reboot the Mac after making any changes and try to add the share again.
Having the same issue with the os sierra "The computer cannot be found." Firewall is set to the specs on the sonos website. Restarted the wifi router and speaker. Also re-installed the app. What else can I try to get this working again? - Thanks

Hi kapu, welcome to the community. Take a look at this article, which details how to check your Mac's names on the network. These should all be short, simple, and the same. They may have changed with the new OS and that would mean you'd need to remove and re-add the music share to Sonos, once the names are all aligned.

I've had the same problem since updated to Sierra, firewall okay and all, just needed as the article said to re-align the names of the sharing pref and computer's name, now everything is back to normal
Thanks Tom!
Hi Guys

First post here after 10 years of Sonos ownership. The forum seems full of helpful directions resolve most issues though i can't seem to get to the bottom of my system problem - hopefully some of you guys will be able to steer in the right direction.

I am running a mac which has recently updated to OS sierra. As a few guys above seem to be finding, I now cannot see the Sonos system. I have checked firewall and that seems to be as per the Sonos guidance. My iPhone also cannot see the system, though my original CR100 controller works perfectly - can't beat that old brick for reliability!!

What is weird is that the Sonos app on the mac now won't even show the full list of options - only available options is services. I am stumped.

Hope this is something that is fairly easy to sort, thanks in advance.
macdoubting,

I think you have a couple of issues here, and I'll answer what I can, and ask others to chime in where they can, to correct me, or elucidate.

First, I'm guessing that the update to Sierra did something to the name of your computer. If you poke around here, there will be several threads that suggest how to ensure that the computer name gets re-synced. This is not something I'm an expert in, but it has to do with the shared name, and the name in NETBIOS, I think, which apparently can get out of whack (that's technical talk, you know).

As to the Sonos app not showing all options, I'd suggest that you've updated the app, but not the speakers. With the options being greyed out, it's an indication of the app and the speakers being out of sync in terms of the software/firmware. If you have indeed updated the app, then go ahead and update the speakers, so they're on the same system. However, I'm not sure how that will impact your CR100.