Cast from apps on Android?

• 29 October 2021
  • 27 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

27 replies

Badge

Another real kludge is to use Google Home and cast the entire phone to my Chromecast on my TV, which plays through my Sonos system. Then using the Sonos app, I can play anywhere in my setup. But that requires I stop, turn on the TV, start the Sonos app, continue the podcast. Kludge, kludge, kludge, and such a waste. Ubiquitous Sonos? Not so much… Google "Don't be evil"? Good reason they dropped that from their Code of Conduct - gives them license to pull s*** like this.

I think the challenge here is that Sonos has already written and made publicly available an API which a few companies have chosen to take advantage of. Unfortunately, Google is not one of those, as they’ve not embedded it in the Android operating system. Since Sonos has done their part, it seems as though additional pressure should be put on Google in order to satisfy your needs. 

I’d agree, the animosity shown by Google, both in infringing on the Sonos patents, and not implementing the available ‘casting’ API is incomprehensible.