Answered

Cannot use files on Raspberry Pi USB drive as my Music Library

• 22 July 2023
  • 5 replies

Hi!

I recently deleted my Music Library settings on the Sonos app on my Windows PC because of a change of USB drive.

Now I cannot add my music files back because, although I can browse to the folder in Windows File Explorer and I can see the music folders on the USB drive, the OK button is greyed out in the Sonos app and I cannot select that location.

If I plug the same USB drive directly into my Windows PC, the app is happy to accept it.

Any help you can offer to a very inexperienced user would be greatly appreciated.

icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 22 July 2023, 18:05

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Check your pi’s Samba settings to make sure you are sharing the folder in a manner Sonos likes.

These are my old instructions for using a Pi to do SMB 1 which you don’t need if your Sonos is S2 but the sharing settings should be similar.

https://stan-miller.livejournal.com/650.html

SMB v1 NAS for Sonos

[music]
Comment = Pi shared folder
Path = /mnt/music
Browseable = yes
Writeable = Yes
only guest = no
create mask = 0555
directory mask = 0555
Public = yes
Guest ok = yes 

Hi Stanley.

Thank you for your reply and apologies for the late respone.

Unfortunately I do not have your knowledge of the Pi or its programming but I was able to check its SAMBA settings via OpenElec which is what I use on it for music and video server purposes.

I found that SMB1 was already enabled (and this might explain why it had worked ok with Sonos in the past) but just in case I changed it to a minimum of SMB1 and a maxirum of SMB2.

Sadly, it has made no difference: the music folders are still visible in the FAT32 USB plugged into the Pi but OK is still greyed out in the Sonos music library setup.

Best,

Nick

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Can you see the music library share from a Windows or Mac?

I do not believe that USB devices’ files are shared by default so you will have to add that share manually.

You can use the editor of your choice to open the /etc/samba/smb.conf and add a share (like my music example) to it before the files are available over SMB.

You would need to change the  /mnt/music line below to match where your USB device is mounted.

[music]
Comment = Pi shared folder
Path = /mnt/music
Browseable = yes
Writeable = Yes
only guest = no
create mask = 0555
directory mask = 0555
Public = yes
Guest ok = yes 

Yes, I can see the share in Windows and I made some progress by reinstalling Libreelec on the Pi: I can now both see and Ok the right USB music folder on the Sonos app. The problem now is that Sonos then reports it can't open the music folder because the (Windows) computer is not responding.

Using Libreelec means that the SMB settings are made through System Services settings so I don't have to use command line instructions.

But I suspect that Sonos have changed something recently that is causing these issues and so I asked their support for help. Their answer was that they only support music libraries on PCs and NAS devices and not on the Pi.

Thanks for your efforts though.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Well my Sonos is fully updated and is having no issues playing from my Pi. I’m listening to it now.

Maybe find a user forum for that OS you are using and get their advice on setting up an SMB share?

Sonos support won’t help you set up your OS to share files, that is beyond their job description. Do not confuse their lack of ability to tell you how to set up your computer with the ability of Sonos to use it as a Music Library.