Skip to main content

Hi.  I have been using my S1 App for quite some time now as the majority of my system is quite old.  However I have recently been gifted a new Roam SL which is S2 compatible only.  Now, I know I can split the system for S1 and S2 systems (and if I have read it correctly, it is really only my Play 5 that won’t work with the new S2 app) and I am happy to set up two systems. 

However my question is this.  Can the speakers that I move across to the S2 app (Play 1s, SYMFONISKs, Playbar) also be added back into the S1 app?  IN other words, when I use my Play 5 with my turntable, can I have those S1 compatible speakers on both SONOS systems?

Not simultaneously, no. You may want to think of your Sonos speakers as a windows computer. You can run Windows 95, or the current version of windows, but not at the same time. 

Not simultaneously, no. You may want to think of your Sonos speakers as a windows computer. You can run Windows 95, or the current version of windows, but not at the same time. 

So they have to be assigned to one app and one app only?  I can’t have my turntable that is connected to a Play 5 also playing through the Play 1s and Playbar in the lounge via the S1 app?

Correct. Any speaker running the S1 operating system will only show up in the S1 app. Any speaker running the S2 operating system will only show up in the S2 app. You can not ‘group’ them, or share any streams/inputs between them. 

Correct. Any speaker running the S1 operating system will only show up in the S1 app. Any speaker running the S2 operating system will only show up in the S2 app. You can not ‘group’ them, or share any streams/inputs between them. 

Thank you Bruce.  What a pain, when all I want to do is add a new Roam so I can play it in the garden!!!

What are the rest of your speakers/system? In many cases, many people can move to S2 if they just go to a wireless connection, rather than using the ancient ‘BRIDGE’ device.