Answered

Can playlists be moved

• 5 August 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 28 replies

In process of upgrading to S2 and wonder if playlists can be moved or imported?

My Sonos playlists do not appear on desktop (Windows) or iPhone S2 apps. Looking on here I see that they are supposed to migrate, so this appears to be a fault. 

All playlists are still visible and working in S1 app. Music is stored in iTunes folder on NAS and playlists comprise tracks that are physically present on disk.

I have seen there is a third party app that lets playlists be played between S1 and S2 systems but I plan to eliminate S1 devices from the network.

icon

Best answer by 106rallye 5 August 2023, 12:58

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Playlists should be carried over from S1 to S2. If you keep some devices on S1 (do not reset them) you can see if there is a need to manually carry over playlists.

By the way, only Sonos playlists need to be carried over, Spotify playlists will be maintained on Spotify.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Thanks. Current position is that Sonos Playlist node is present in S1 app under the “Select Music Source” heading and my playlists are present, This is on my Sonos desktop app which I have uninstalled and reinstalled with latest version. The node is present on Desktop in S2 app, but none of my S1 playlists are there. I can create new playlists in S2 app and they are present.

I wonder if my playlists are somehow “stored’ somewhere else on my Music folders on the NAS. My original S1 component (which is when/where the playlists were started) is very legacy (2005 or 2006) if that might be relevant. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sonos playlists are stored on the devices - the Sonos app is just a remote. If you’ve not upgraded any speaker to S2, the “remote” cannot find an S2 speaker and so no playlist.

I do think you need a smart phone to upgrade, not a PC?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

There are multiple kinds of playlists:

• Sonos Playlists, stored in the speakers in their distributed database
  • Imported Playlists, stored in your NAS or PC file system
  • Music serivce playlists, stored in their respective services.

To handle Sonos Playlists between systems (cross-play, import & export), you can use my iOS app (see profile).

Yes, playlists can be moved or imported when upgrading to Sonos S2. In the process of upgrading, your Sonos playlists should migrate from the S1 app to the S2 app automatically. However, it seems like you are facing an issue where your Sonos playlists are not appearing on the desktop (Windows) or iPhone S2 apps. 

Since your playlists are still visible and working in the S1 app, In my opinion,

it's possible that there might be a fault or a technical issue during the migration process. To troubleshoot this problem, here are some steps you can try: 

Ensure that both your Sonos devices and apps (both S1 and S2) are updated to their latest versions. 

Check the network connection of your Sonos devices and ensure they are properly connected to the same network as your desktop and iPhone. 

Restart your Sonos devices and apps to see if the playlists appear after the restart. 

If the issue persists, you can try to uninstall and reinstall the Sonos S2 app on your desktop and iPhone to see if that resolves the problem. 

Regarding the third-party app that allows playlists to be played between S1 and S2 systems, it's worth noting that using third-party apps can have risks and may not provide the same level of integration and support as the official Sonos apps. Since you plan to eliminate S1 devices from the network, it's best to focus on resolving the migration issue with the official Sonos S2 app. 

I hope this helps, and I apologize for any inconvenience you've experienced during the upgrade process. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

If you’ve not upgraded any speaker to S2, the “remote” cannot find an S2 speaker and so no playlist.

OK thanks... I can see this is the probable explanation, but if none of the existing S1 devices are capable of upgrade to S2 this would appear to mean no upgrade path for S1 playlists. Correct?

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

To handle Sonos Playlists between systems (cross-play, import & export), you can use my iOS app 

Thanks, will investigate your "Phonos Universal" for Windows and "Phonos Plus"apps to see if I can export playlists from S1 and import to S2