Skip to main content
I’ve had a Sonos play 1 for 20 months. First year and a half it worked great. Recently it keeps dropping out despite it and router not having their locations moved. Driving me mad. Looked at forums but I’m not that tech savvy and just want to enjoy music. Finally yesterday I think I got it working ok. This morning I received a suggestion to upgrade App. Haven’t done it. How do I block these suggested updates? Simple explanation please.
I’ve had a Sonos play 1 for 20 months. First year and a half it worked great. Recently it keeps dropping out despite it and router not having their locations moved. Driving me mad. Looked at forums but I’m not that tech savvy and just want to enjoy music. Finally yesterday I think I got it working ok. This morning I received a suggestion to upgrade App. Haven’t done it. How do I block these suggested updates? Simple explanation please.

Hi there,

Welcome to the community. While blocking updates won't help with issues like dropouts, you can disable automatic updates. To do so, first head into your Sonos app and look in the settings menu for Sonos updates. In that menu you can disable automatic updates which will prevent your speakers from attempting to update on their own. The next step is to prevent your smartphone apps from automatically updating. This is done by going into the smartphone's preference menu for the app store and disabling automatic app updates.

This will prevent your system from updating on its own. Though if you bring in a controller running a different software version, or if you try to add a new speaker to your system, you'll be prompted to update.

If you do have any problems connecting to your system after an update, please feel free to reach out for help here. Most of the time these issues can be fixed without having to disable update.
Hi Jeff S. Thank you for your reply
musicloveral,

Even though you never move router or speakers, it’s possible your router auto-searches for wireless channels to use on start-up and the same applies to neighbours routers too. So these things can introduce interference without you lifting a finger.. I tend to therefore monitor the channels in use in my locality from time to time and if necessary I change channel to prevent any problems. There is info on the forum how to do this and here (below) is a link to just one thread that’s perhaps worth a read to help you keep such interference to a minimum...

Simple Fixes for Network Connection Issues