Answered

Better Android Support

• 20 November 2022
  • 5 replies

When will the Sonos app start supporting Android better?  I can't add devices on my Samsung Galaxy S20 with the most recent OS and most recent app versions as of 11/2022 but have no problem with the app on an old iPad.  It's very frustrating. 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 23 November 2022, 14:51

View original

5 replies

I don't know why you can't add devices.  I've got the S20 and can add devices just fine. 

Perhaps more detail about what specific issues the OP is experiencing might help the community attempt to provide better solutions…..

As far as I’m aware, there is no difference between the iOS controller and the Android controller, save TruePlay. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @MoosterJ 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I think the reason you’re unable to add a product from your phone probably has a lot more to do with your network than with your phone.

Hopefully, you’ve got your new product setup now anyway, but if the same happens again in the future, please try the following:

Try turning your WiFi router off for at least 30 seconds, then turn it back on. Wait for WiFi to return before opening the Sonos app, and try again. If you have a WiFi booster or extender that your phone might be connecting to that your iPad was not, I recommend turning it off - at least until your new product is added. These kinds of devices are not supported.

If it still fails to add, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for replying.  I got the Roam working using the iPad and was then able to use it from the Sonos app on my Galaxy phone.  I am a network engineer and my house is wired with Cat 6 structured wiring.  My network is an Eero 6 mesh network with all of the access points connected together via hardwired ethernet to a switch in my wiring closet.  As a result I don’t have any repeaters and the network isn’t using WiFi for backhaul.  I would think that both the iPad and Samsung Galaxy phone would have the same problems if the problem were the WiFi network.  That was the case with other devices such as my SkyBell doorbell which wouldn’t register with the WiFi after configuring it.  

The Roam attaches to the device initially via Bluetooth and then joins the WiFi network as part of the configuration process.  I was never able to pair the Roam via the Samsung Galaxy’s bluetooth to get to the configuration steps.  That is why I don’t think the problem is the WiFi network.  I never got that far.  Does that help explain it better?  

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @MoosterJ 

It does indeed explain it better - thank you.

However, as @jgatie mentioned that they have the same phone and can add devices without issue, and as there hasn’t been a mass call-out of this issue, I would still make the assumption that something local interfered with the process - perhaps there was another Bluetooth device already connected, or the Galaxy phone was in need of a reboot.

I guess it’s academic now anyway - I’m glad to hear that you can enjoy your new Roam without issue. Have you tried playing to it over Bluetooth from your Galaxy yet?