Answered

Anyone else experiencing severe APP LAG & slow loading/refresh with S2?

Show first post

163 replies

Yes. I have two Sonos connects. Maybe that’s it. They are Ethernet connected. The matrix shows a decibel figure and some color coding. Fri. Those two things plus the way they are positioned you can see what is connected to what and how good the connection is. 

… oh and ‘yes’, the blacklisting suggestion was just to perhaps put all (or some) Sonos products onto the Orbi 5Ghz WiFi band as that band is less penetrating/quicker (more localised) and you could then also use the DFS WiFi channels etc. and hopefully avoid your neighbouring WiFi signals, but it really depends on what devices you perhaps have in your setup. 

Your Sonos matrix is not going to be that helpful if running all on your WiFi signal. It’s geared for use with SonosNet …and the more modern Sonos devices are not using its full features these days anyway. 

Yes. I have two Sonos connects. Maybe that’s it. They are Ethernet connected. The matrix shows a decibel figure and some color coding. Fri. Those two things plus the way they are positioned you can see what is connected to what and how good the connection is. 

Ah our posts crossed - I have a few questions and a suggestion.

Have you tried running your setup with no Sonos devices at all cabled to the LAN? If not, then I would certainly give that a try, as Sonos has greatly improved in this area. What also would help is, if you can cable the Orbi satellites back to your Orbi Primary Hub. I accept that’s not always practical, but worth doing if you can.

Next ensure any ISP provided router is bridged (or better still put in modem mode, if that mode is supported) and that its WiFi adapters are disabled. 

I would then reboot all and let the system settle for a day or so and see if things improve.

Wow. So that’s interesting. Sounds like you are suggesting running all speakers in WiFi mode and disconnecting the Sonos connects. I could try that. My objective has been to try and cable more speakers via Ethernet. 

also. The Orbi satellites are cabled back to a switch then back to a patch panel to the main router. I could bypass the switch and just do a direct cable connection. 

finally my new IPS doesn’t require a cable modem so that isn’t a favor.  

I’ll give this all a try but find it hard to believe that wireless could be the solution vs a mixed bag or wired and wireless. Sonos has suggest I try to wire more. I may actually try to shut down any that aren’t wired to see if that improves things. They seemed to indicate that once I get past 5 in a group it could be a problem. 

thanks for your guidance. 

the app sucks!! I have 6 sonos amp and the app cant find them! . I was thinking it was something with my network, so I went to buy a new switch and router but we still have the same issues after installing everything new

it need to be S2 app, because spotify app find everything with not problem .. 

the app sucks!! I have 6 sonos amp and the app cant find them! . I was thinking it was something with my network, so I went to buy a new switch and router but we still have the same issues after installing everything new

it need to be S2 app, because spotify app find everything with not problem .. 

What made you think it was a router, network, or switch issue, when it might simply have been an SSDP device discovery issue involving the mobile controller device? …or did you manage to somehow rule out that possibility before going to the additional expense of new network hardware and what did you do, to rule out it being the controller device?

I’m surprised you only just joined this user-community today, after changing the network hardware too, particularly as it really does sound like you’ve perhaps missed where the real ‘device-discovery’ issues may lie.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks Bruce for some good potential problem solving approaches.

However, I’ve been there done all of that and more - plus I’m working with top-tier engineers within Sonos.  They have admitted that there is indeed Application lag issues with S2 but not reported directly often so while they are aware it’s tied to the S2 application (all platforms/app versions), there are not enough data points (customer complaints/diagnostics submitted) to allow for a deep dive into what’s causing it.   Some blame may be placed on iOS 14.x.

To be clear I’m not asking about song/music/streaming lags to speakers, I’m asking about using the S2 app on your phones/pads/tablets/PCs.  When people OPEN their Sonos S2 app does it take 10-40 seconds to load/refresh?  Is it laggy when changing sources, volume levels? Do the graphics take time to load after the app has started?  

Again, this ONLY happened once S2 was download and installed on various platforms and Sonos is aware and have determined it’s NOT my system. 

We love our 17+ Sonos whole house audio system, but there are ongoing issues that cause a lot of annoyances and this is just one of them.

I have experienced the same app loading lag and have had a few SONOS speakers simply disappear from my system. I unplug, reboot every few days which temporarity fixes it. This ALL started when I began using S2. S1 worked flawlessly for years. My feeling is S2 coincided with SONOS dumping the abillity to play Apple Music and the roll out of their own competing streaming music service. It’s like the app is now so larded down that it just takes a while to load and has glitches. 

I have experienced the same app loading lag and have had a few SONOS speakers simply disappear from my system. I unplug, reboot every few days which temporarity fixes it. This ALL started when I began using S2. S1 worked flawlessly for years. My feeling is S2 coincided with SONOS dumping the abillity to play Apple Music and the roll out of their own competing streaming music service. It’s like the app is now so larded down that it just takes a while to load and has glitches. 

This is exactly the situation where setting reserved IP addresses would help. The router keeps losing track of IP addresses. Setting up reserved IPs would help that router from ending up in that state again, and keep that annoying delay/dropping from happening.

It would be easier to point the finger at Sonos and their S2 software, and wait for a ‘bug fix’, but it is a local router issue, and not something Sonos can address. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

This is exactly the situation where setting reserved IP addresses would help. The router keeps losing track of IP addresses. Setting up reserved IPs would help that router from ending up in that state again, and keep that annoying delay/dropping from happening.

It would be easier to point the finger at Sonos and their S2 software, and wait for a ‘bug fix’, but it is a local router issue, and not something Sonos can address. 

I use FING to search my local network and I can see each of my SONOS products has their own IP address. I do have 55 IP addresses in my system….perhaps that is too many.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I use FING to search my local network and I can see each of my SONOS products has their own IP address. I do have 55 IP addresses in my system….perhaps that is too many.

Depends on your router. I remember having a Frontier router that turned to crap once I had more than 35 or so devices, turned out the NAT table was too small. Its the only time my Sonos system was ever unreliable. Fixed with a router upgrade (newer Frontier router with much larger NAT table).

The easiest way to debug slow app startup is to capture the network traffic, or look at the logs that the PC app generates (less detailed but easier for the non-networking experts). A lot of local calls are made during startup (though all very quick), but if one device is slow it will drag down the entire process. The logs can help in determine the slow device (which when rebooted will fix the issue).

I have three times that amount of devices on my Home network, so it’s not that,  it takes less than 10s to open the Sonos app from a fully closed state and to find 25+ devices here on the wireless LAN (IP addresses are reserved in my case for all my Sonos devices)  - but if you’re having difficulty, then check the devices SNR levels - get them all with a reading of 45dB or higher and ideally where practical, put them on the faster 5Ghz band. Reduce any local WiFi interference too.

It’s also worth just backgrounding the App, when its not in use, rather than fully closing it, as that only takes less time to bring it into focus and have things working (ensure the device is not using things like WiFi calling and don’t have the App set to use mobile data, aswell as WiFi, as those things can give a slight improvement too.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Userlevel 2
Badge

I have three times that amount of devices on my Home network, so it’s not that,  it takes less than 10s to open the Sonos app from a fully closed state and to find 25+ devices here on the wireless LAN (IP addresses are reserved in my case for all my Sonos devices)  - but if you’re having difficulty, then check the devices SNR levels - get them all with a reading of 45dB or higher and ideally where practical, put them on the faster 5Ghz band. Reduce any local WiFi interference too.

It’s also worth just backgrounding the App, when its not in use, rather than fully closing it, as that only takes less time to bring it into focus and have things working (ensure the device is not using things like WiFi calling and don’t have the App set to use mobile data, aswell as WiFi, as those things can give a slight improvement too.

Thanks, I’ll see if I can implement these ideas. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I spent many hours on the IP address issue and was never able to pin it down to a Sonos or router problem. Both looked to be doing exactly what was expected.

Still things didn’t work, particularly at updates or power fail/restore times.

Setting the static/reserved IPs solved my issue.

Number of clients supported should be addressed in the router’s forums but unless it is junk it should happily support at least a /24, about 250 devices.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Anywhere I can get instructions on how to fix or reserve IP’s? I have  one main AT&T router which has fiver optic 250+ speed and then two Ubiquti routers elsewhere in the house. They have different names with all the SONOS speakers and amps using the Ubitqutis.

Anywhere I can get instructions on how to fix or reserve IP’s? I have  one main AT&T router which has fiver optic 250+ speed and then two Ubiquti routers elsewhere in the house. They have different names with all the SONOS speakers and amps using the Ubitqutis.

If using Ubiquiti WiFi then this link might perhaps be useful to you too…

https://github.com/IngmarStein/unifi-sonos-doc

I also have this note for Unifi access points…

1. Uncheck “Enable multicast enhancement (IGMPv3)”. 
  2. Do not check “Block LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data”

…and I’ve seen other users here in the community mention the following;

• In the Settings tab, click Wireless Networks.
  • Click Edit next to the network SSID.
  • Expand Advanced Options.
  • Uncheck Block LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data.
  • In the Settings tab, click Sites.
  • Disable Auto-Optimize Network.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 2
Badge

If using Ubiquiti WiFi then this link might perhaps be useful to you too…

https://github.com/IngmarStein/unifi-sonos-doc

I also have this note for Unifi access points…

1. Uncheck “Enable multicast enhancement (IGMPv3)”. 
  2. Do not check “Block LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data”

…and I’ve seen other users here in the community mention the following;

• In the Settings tab, click Wireless Networks.
  • Click Edit next to the network SSID.
  • Expand Advanced Options.
  • Uncheck Block LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data.
  • In the Settings tab, click Sites.
  • Disable Auto-Optimize Network.

I hope this helps.

Thanks! I’ll go do this as soon as I can….

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

You need to go to the Ubiquity router’s DHCP Settings page and set the static/reserved IP addresses there.

Maybe?  https://community.ui.com/questions/USG-DHCP-Reservations/4841af19-d873-47b0-afba-262a0a97cf97

Userlevel 2
Badge

You need to go to the Ubiquity router’s DHCP Settings page and set the static/reserved IP addresses there.

Maybe?  https://community.ui.com/questions/USG-DHCP-Reservations/4841af19-d873-47b0-afba-262a0a97cf97

192.168.1, 192.168.100…...I’ve tried everything and can no longer get into my router. I used to be able to easily access my router’s login….no longer…..

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

The Ubiquity forums are going to be where you get the access issues sorted too.

So many thousands of possible addresses guessing won’t help. Maybe a network scanner like nmap could find the router and get you the IP to try.

RFC 1918 specified a private address space of IPs reserved for internal networks:

• 10.0.0.0 – 10.255.255.255 (10.0.0.0/8)
  • 172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255 (172.16.0.0/12)
  • 192.168.0.0 – 192.168.255.255 (192.168.0.0/16)

192.168.1, 192.168.100…...I’ve tried everything and can no longer get into my router. I used to be able to easily access my router’s login….no longer…..

The router login address details, including any default username and password are usually printed somewhere on the router itself.

Userlevel 2
Badge

The router login address details, including any default username and password are usually printed somewhere on the router itself.

Problem is that my Unifi Routers are mounted ceiling flush (not taking them down to look at the back of them). I have always been able to access them at 192.168.1.1. No longer. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Ceiling flush? I see a wall mount, “Dream Wall” but no ceiling mounted ones.

Which Ubiquity routers do you have? 

How could they all be on the same IP address?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Ubiquiti Unifi 6 I think. They may be access points.

Ubiquiti Unifi 6 I think. They may be access points.

Maybe this will assist? …