Allow controllers to pair with multiple home systems

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

100 replies

I agree with John 100%. Even if its a one liner Sonos, please give us a status rather than the "Under Consideration" tag you have on the thread. Sonos customer and dealer, Scottsdale, AZ.
Badge +18
Yes, we are absolutely still listening. We've directed users here from other sources so they can help build support for the idea, we've merged duplicate topics into this thread to consolidate the votes, and we regularly review the status - many of us even get the same updates you do. I can understand how the lack of response is frustrating, we'll do a better job of acknowledging the topics like this one that reach a certain threshold.
Yes, we are absolutely still listening. We've directed users here from other sources so they can help build support for the idea, we've merged duplicate topics into this thread to consolidate the votes, and we regularly review the status - many of us even get the same updates you do. I can understand how the lack of response is frustrating, we'll do a better job of acknowledging the topics like this one that reach a certain threshold.
Thanks John for the reply. Any idea if this is more than just "under consideration?" Is it slated on any software update?
I can't speak for John, but every item which has been released and/or in public beta has been marked "Planned" for at least a few months before the release. I imagine the fact that something is actually being worked on and planned for release is what causes the status change to "Planned". Until the status changes, I (personally) assume this is like any other request and is not yet slated for any release.
Badge +18
Steve, I'm afraid we don't have anything to announce at this time but as soon as we do, this will be the first place we share the news.
Ok. Thanks for the update.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Hi John M. Thanks for the reply, It's not what we wanted to hear, but it is nice to know that you are paying attention. -JKFitz
Glad to see Sonos responding to some degree. Would be really cool to use MAC address-based authentication to make the experience seamless. Once approved on a given Sonos system, you should always be auto-approved if your MAC is on the whitelist. It's not like it's a security issue. (for the record, I have 2 Sonos systems separated by 500 miles, and the re-association every time is pretty annoying.)
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Glad to see Sonos responding to some degree. Would be really cool to use MAC address-based authentication to make the experience seamless. Once approved on a given Sonos system, you should always be auto-approved if your MAC is on the whitelist. It's not like it's a security issue. (for the record, I have 2 Sonos systems separated by 500 miles, and the re-association every time is pretty annoying.)
It is inconvenient, I am guessing with the 500 mile separation, you split your time between houses, so you only have to do it a few times year. I have some clients who have a system at home and a system at work and they have to do it twice a day. Needless to say it is an annoyance for them that trickles down to me! All we can do is keep up the pressure on Sonos and hopefully soon this will be resolved. I am not a software developer, and have no idea what it takes to create such a feature, or if it is even possible (others say it is indeed possible) , I just want to know, if they can do it, what is the timeline? Not that it's really any of my business in the first place, I guess I'm just nosey that way! 😉 I will note however, that even with this issue , it will not keep me from selling Sonos whenever I can, I think it is a great system, and it continues to get better!
Userlevel 2
You guys have to be kidding me?! It takes 30 seconds!!! Lol I do it from home to work everyday... I can't believe I followed this thread now that I look back. Is this really how people spend their time? Ahhhhh
Badge
You guys have to be kidding me?! It takes 30 seconds!!! Lol I do it from home to work everyday... I can't believe I followed this thread now that I look back. Is this really how people spend their time? Ahhhhh
It takes 30 seconds assuming your zones are somewhere accessible. My zones are not. Most people hide them in a basement closet or somewhere close to central wiring closets. To have to do this for 8 different controllers twice daily is not what I would consider trivial.
Badge
Not to mention, you can use any DLNA controller to control zones without even linking them which tells everyone there is no reason to link or authenticate anyway. (ie, if you can list all zones and control them without linking them, why does SONOS' controller software require it? Annoying.)
For my clients its something that should just work. They are use to using smartphones that instantly download whatever. They are use to connecting to a wifi network automatically... Office, Starbucks, Home, etc. Regarding Sonos, its typically not 30 seconds and it is an inconvenience.
Userlevel 2
If your clients are so lazy, why not suggest they buy an extra controller and leave it at home?
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Steve, you have to be kidding me! You have spent a lot of time following an issue that you don't even care about, yet you question the way everyone else spends their time!? Hmmmm. And I have said earlier, It's annoying but it wont keep me from selling Sonos whenever possible. There are a few things I would like to see added to Sonos, none of which are earth shattering issues. This one tops my list right now, so if spend 30 seconds replying or posting in an effort to someday have this feature, then I think it's time well spent. I can't believe you followed this thread either!
Ah John, I think you have me confused with someone else. You and I are on the same page on this.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
I was talking to the other Steve who said " You guys have to be kidding me?! It takes 30 seconds!!! Lol I do it from home to work everyday... I can't believe I followed this thread now that I look back. Is this really how people spend their time? Ahhhhh " . I assume you are the Steve who is also a Sonos dealer in the Phoenix Area. I know we are on the same page. Sorry for the confusion.
Userlevel 2
I have customers I have to support. It's a pain in the ass to delete my setup and pair with theirs, then delete theirs and re-pair mine. You should have remembered setups. You hop on their wifi and the app would recognize the network and ask you if you'd like to switch the controller to that network. This is a premium product and your customers pay a premium. Features like this should almost be standard.
Userlevel 3
+1 please add this feature. Sonos are you are still listening to your customers?
Badge +18
+1 please add this feature. Sonos are you are still listening to your customers?
Always. Thanks for adding your support to this topic.
+1 As loyal customers we've been enjoying our Sonos system and it's various sound source upgrades for many many years now... I posted for support on this on an alternate thread 8 mos ago when we began constructing a vacation home 1000 mi away and I realized the potential issue. Assuming Sonos would no doubt come forward with an elegant solution in plenty of time, we went ahead and incorporated a sound system centered on Sonos Amps driving ceiling spkrs in various rooms. Now that we've received an Aug 1 completion date frankly I'm surprised and disappointed that after 8 mos and all the postings Sonos hasn't even gone as far as to put this on their "future upgrade" list! Sonos, won't you finally consider all your loyal customers who have posted on this (plus I'm sure many more "non-posters")? Think of the sales/marketing potential when you can add a "multiple home" feature to your advertising!
Userlevel 2
I look at it like Logitech not having one single sign in where you can have multiple remotes under it so you don't have to remember login and password for every remote. Something like that just seems so basic and not difficult to implement.
I also ask for this function, i switch between, 4 sonos systems every week, controller schould feel when i am connected to the same wifi and is assigned previosly to this sonos system and i also want to set up for the kids in my main house, so they have their own sytem in the house
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
I also ask for this function, i switch between, 4 sonos systems every week, controller schould feel when i am connected to the same wifi and is assigned previosly to this sonos system and i also want to set up for the kids in my main house, so they have their own sytem in the house
Johan, we are all waiting for the multi system support upgrade, and hopefully we will see it soon (but dont hold your breath). As far as your kids are concerned, you can set that up now: just hardwire a cat5 to one of their sonos devices directly to your current router, and then set it up as if were a new system, this will allow you to have 2 systems on 1 network. I have tested this configuration and it works great. Let me know if you have any issues , i'll be glad to help out. J.K. Fitz
Me three. 🙂