Skip to main content

We want to add a turntable to our setup but I am unsure what equipment I would need.

I have searched the forums but it’s still unclear since either people don’t have the Playbar (it’s older) or there is conflicting information.

I have a Playbar hooked up to a Samsung 55KU6300 TV, with 2x Sonos Ones for surround sound. I also have a couple Sonos Play:1 in other rooms.

Options:

I know I have the option of buying a Sonos 5 and hooking a turntable up to it, but I don’t really have any place to put a Sonos 5 + turntable.

Another option is buying an Amp (or would only a Port work?).

I don’t think I have any options as far as TV audio input goes as I don’t have anymore audio inputs available (Playbar uses optical).

Anymore?

Hi @Draven.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. I understand that you are looking for answers on how to integrate a turntable with your Sonos system. Let me help you out with that.

The Sonos PortSonos Amp, and the Sonos Five both have a line-in port feature that would allow you to integrate your turntable into your Sonos system. However, the Sonos Port and Sonos Amp use an RCA connection while the Sonos Five uses a 3.5mm headphone jack as a line-in connection (same as your headset or earphone jack/connector).

The most ideal product you would need to connect the turntable to Sonos would be the Sonos Port based on your preferred options. as the turntable uses an RCA connection that would need to be connected to the line-in port of the Sonos Port and then using the group and ungroup feature on the Sonos app, your son can group the Sonos Port with the Sonos device through the Sonos App to have the audio come out of both Sonos devices. (Taking note that the turntable needs to have a built in pre-amp)

Let me share with you a topic here in the community that discussed more details about integrating a turntable to Sonos.

I hope this helps.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. I’ll be more than happy to help out.

Thanks,

@Paul A Thanks for this! The topic you linked had information about the pre-amp that I didn’t understand. Now it makes sense :)

Hi @Draven.

Thanks for the update and immediate response. 

Yes, a pre-amp is needed if the turntable does not have a built in pre-amp. Please feel free to comment and ask questions in the topic I have shared above. Other members of the community are also helping out in that thread which may help you decide what devices are necessary and hopefully get a recommended turntable that might help you out.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or concerns. I’ll be more than happy to help out.

Thanks,