A linux controller is needed.

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

258 replies

Was about to spend 400€ in two play 1 when the vendor told me that was not compatible with linux. If you don't want to develop a client for whatever reason, you could open the API so that the linux community can develop it !
I would suggest to add a specific clause to the GNU license which forbids companies to use it, if they do nothing in return.
In the mean time, if you possess a NAS drive such as that from Synology, you can simply install 'audio station' and then use 'audio station's' media player to stream your music straight to your sonos- device(s). The media player is pretty basic (at least compared to the likes of amarok or rhythmbox), but it supports playlists, cover art, radio stations, some streaming services, catches lyrics and.... most importantly ...  is not affected by the 65,000 songs barrier.
I'm disappointed that Sonos has taken this stance. Although I am new to Linux, and I could continue to control my Sonos with mobile, or a windows computer, there is a point of principle here that makes me inclined to switch to another music play system. Shame on you sonos.
I just want to add my voice to those requesting a Linux Controller. Please, guys! Do it for world peace!
Indeed... they are obligated to do something - give the community the resource and it will be done.
+ 1

both my office (5 users) and my home devices (4 PCs/laptops) run either Ubuntu or Mint.
Please provide a Linux controller or an API to work with.
Provide an API, or at least build your Desktop apps in a way that would make them easily portable. Or maybe just hire software people that have some vision. 
+1 -- would make me more likely to buy additional Sonos products in future. 
Definite +1 for a Linux native solution. Wine is not a solution. Its not rocket science if the system already uses Linux, Sonos has the skills in house. Very disappointed.
+1 - It is a shame that the controller is not ported to Linux. We, as a family, use Ubuntu. Please, make an effort.
Userlevel 2
The great problem, dear Sonos, is that you are not interested in linux client and not able to build a wine runnable application. If your controller runs on wine, linux people stop bugging you asking for a linux client!!!
I'm a tech guy using Linux, and the only one in this office who cannot play something on the Sonos.
Hey Sonos, The family household runs on Ubuntu here! 

I just bought  Sonos Play:3 without checking it was compatible, more fool me.  I've got it working in a windows VM but it's been a pain. 

You have built your product using Linux, do the right thing by your customers and give something back to the OpenSource community!!
This is really a poor company decision. Its not that much work to add a linux controller and with the removal of the actual sonos controllers from the product line, im sure that a ton of people would love to make linux based control stations (i would use a RasPi). We just bought a $2000 set and i dont want to have to use my phone or computer all the time, i would like a linux controller. It wouldnt be hard to develop so please reconsider this
+1 Sonos for Linux! Homeautomation Systems on Linux also waiting for this!
After 2 years of begging still no controller for Linux. Very disappointing! I almost regret my purchase of Sonos (Playbar + Play5 + Play3 + 2x Play1 + Bridge) A lot of money, but very poor support!
Userlevel 1
Badge
There is a working controller, it doesn't come from Sonos (shame on you!), though. If you install the Kodi media server (most Linux distros have pre-packaged binaries available in their software shops/repos), it comes with a sonos add-on. All you need is to activate the add-on, configure it in a couple of very simple steps and then lean back and enjoy. The add-on does not fully replace the sonos-controller, but most basic functions are covered. A few nice extras include the download and display of artist biographies and  slideshows.  If you decide to use it and find it does the job well, spread the word.
Badge
However, since Linux is not widely used in most homes it simply doesn’t make sense for us to develop and maintain a native application right now.  
Since Sonos doesn't see the sense in providing an application for Linux right now, I don't see a point in selling Sonos speakers at work anymore. Time to look to something that acts as a UPnP or DLNA receiver.
I managed to get the android controller running under ubuntu .. may help a few people .. https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/web-controller-for-sonos-runs-on-linux
There is a working controller, it doesn't come from Sonos (shame on you!), though. If you install the Kodi media server (most Linux distros have pre-packaged binaries available in their software shops/repos), it comes with a sonos add-on. All you need is to activate the add-on, configure it in a couple of very simple steps and then lean back and enjoy. The add-on does not fully replace the sonos-controller, but most basic functions are covered. A few nice extras include the download and display of artist biographies and  slideshows.  If you decide to use it and find it does the job well, spread the word.

I have been running XBMC for a long time on my Ubuntu based media system - When I got my sonos speakers and installed the Kodi plugin for Sonos, I was not aware that controlling Sonos from a linux system was an issue - seems to work really well 🙂
+1

We need a linux controller. We have three computers at home, all with ubuntu.
Sonos is a leader in multiroom system, you cannot ignore linux users.

Thanks.
I was considering a Sonos system, but it's not a real option without Linux support.

One thing Linux people don't like is overcomplicated, bulky software with too many features. I'd say you should develop and maintain a basic core driver/controller that handles the functionality of managing players, sending audio, etc.

In other words, it doesn't need to manage your audio and integrate with iTunes. I don't even want it to do those things  - that's bulky, and buggy. Just let it look like any other audio output option, plus having a simple utility to manage the physical devices, and that's enough.

But without any commitment to Linux, Sonos has no place in my home.
Userlevel 2
Hey Sonos, The family household runs on Ubuntu here! 

I just bought  Sonos Play:3 without checking it was compatible, more fool me.  I've got it working in a windows VM but it's been a pain. 

You have built your product using Linux, do the right thing by your customers and give something back to the OpenSource community!!

Yes, it is so easy to use a linux enviroment for a commercial product and then ignore to give something back...
Linux people should make a global action against Sonos...