2023 Spotify Wrapped User Data Mixed Up!

• 3 December 2023
  • 4 replies

There definitely needs to be a discussion about how to get a multi person family that uses Spotify with Sonos to always use the correct spotify user.  

I am an IT Admin with deep experience with data and configurations, and some how, my wifes listening has still been merged with my spotify listening when I look at my 2023 Wrap data from spotify.  

Even though her songs do not show up in my Spotify recently played in Spotfy, her songs DO show up as my most listened to songs in my Wrap Up.  Spotify support is absolutely no help.  I have talked to multiple support people.  All seem to get to the same point.  If we listen on the spotify app, then this will not happen.  But since we are using sonos, this is probably the reason.

Using The Spotify app to play defeats the purpose of having a multi-room sonos system (THAT WAS EXPENSIVE) and multi person family.  I really think Sonons needs to work on improving this.  Anyone have any tips?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Talk to Spotify? Sonos publishes a single SMAPI, it is the responsibility of each streaming company to fill that data stream. Given that you’re an IT admin, you may benefit from reading the Sonos partners page

At no point does this data exist on a server run by Sonos, it is only on Spotify’s servers, and they feed the data to your Sonos controller. 

I have attempted to communicate with Spotify, but it has been challenging. I was hoping that you might have more success. Spotify does not make it easy, and they appear uninterested in doing anything that would benefit using their service with a third-party app.The response from Spotify is always, "It works if you use our app."  Which is 100% not helpful to someone who has spent so much on Sonos Speakers.

This is a common issue nowadays, where one company deflects to another, leaving the user to figure it out. In reality, if these companies truly wanted to support their users, they would engage with each other for the users' benefit.

Why would I have more success? Or for that matter, a Sonos rep, whose company has zero financial involvement with Spotify? It’s concerns raised by people who are paying subscription fees to them that are most likely to be listened to.

It does make me unhappy that all of the streaming companies, including Spotify, keep zero official presence here in this forum, considering how many customers Sonos brings to their doorstep, but I’ve no idea how each company allocates their public presence funds. 

Unfortunately, Sonos doesn’t own each company’s data stream, they merely provide the API, and I would assume some QA in order to confirm functionality. I do assume a forum moderator will note this conversation, and summarize it into a report that they pass upward, but at least in my mind, it is extremely unlikely that anyone at Sonos has a periodic call with someone at Spotify to discuss issues that have been raised. I suppose I could be wildly wrong on that….but Sonos would need at least a couple of full time employees to interface with all streaming companies on a regular basis. 

I do agree with your last statement, but I’m afraid reality doesn’t match our desires. 

Sorry, I misspoke.  I didn't mean to imply “you” would have more success.  What I meant to write, was that I hoped Sonos, as a company that wants their products to seamlessly integrate with other products, would have more luck interfacing with Spotify than I did.

I spent multiple attempts, hours of my life trying to explain to Spotify the issue I was having, They do not seem to be concerned or interested in making their service work better with Sonos. 

The source of my frustration is a simple assumption.  I assumed that Spotify would be interested in making their product as compatible as possible with Sonos Speakers.  At the same time, I assume that Sonos would be interested in making sure their products work well with Spotify. Both parties stand to gain from this. 

So far, it seems like neither company is really interested, or even agrees there is a problem.  And it is situations like this that make me wonder about Apple Music, and Home Pods.  Maybe all this time, my Apple Music friends were right.