Answered

14.18 Broke Desktop Volume Controller

• 19 October 2022
  • 75 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

75 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I’d assume it was a change in Windows, and not that someone changed the code in Sonos. Which suggests that Sonos may have been using a non-standard/approved way to enact the appropriate action. And when Windows “fixed” that code, it broke the way that Sonos was doing it….however, that’s merely a guess, based on the fact that I’d think Sonos hasn’t touched that area of the code in likely years. 

Highly unlikely, esp as the S1 app is still fine (also WPF) and this breakage came with the latest S2 app update. The PC app uses WPF for its UX, and WPF is frozen in time (well the version built into the OS). My day job is a large and complex WPF app and much as it has its issues, randomly breaking apps has not been its thing for many years.

Seems odd that Sonos would have been messing around in that area of the code, certainly...although it may presage some other change upcoming that we’re unaware of. Who knows. :)

Userlevel 1

Just adding myself to the list, I have the same issue.

• Loudspeaker symbol greyed out and no control possible
  • Rebooting all speakers and AMP does not solve the problem
  • I can get some of my rooms to work by deleting the group and adding them back together, but never all of them
  • The issue started exactly with the latest update
Userlevel 1
Badge

The issue is just not in the Windows version, in Windows it just happens to be most obvious. Controlling playback with pre-existing (before app start) groups in latest Android version has issues as well. Result is sudden end of playback on devices that already existed in that group before you added new devices AND adjust the volume, after moment or so. 

Windows version tried to fix a problem they knew they have. That’s why they had a change. But the end result for the user didn’t go thru QA in Windows. Let’s see how the Android app does once it hits with another update. 

It’s sad that Sonos has started to keep Windows version as obsolete. They get praise from media for having a great app - but in fact it really sucks. Spotify, and now Amazon Music, are so much better in finding what you want to play, that I actually dislike using Sonos app. In Windows I can quickly multiwindow into music I like, but in Android app getting to my latest album (not EP, not single) from my favourite Finnish band is just a hit and miss of a lot of random stuff that might never the the correct thing to hit. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

I am very attached to the windows version of controller.
Nearly all my operations are done there.
Also a shame that certain management and setup options only work on android….

Waiting with bated breath for fix to 14.18

I thought I’d add my bit to this as I feel like a lot of other customers on here, I’ve been a Sonos customer for about 10 years and have seen things just get worse and worse with regards to any form of connectivity.  The desktop controller is hit and miss with updates, sometimes it will say its failed when it hasn’t and don’t get me started on the IOS App.  It used to be really reliable but now I get constant drop outs, speakers aren’t picked up, then they are and the whole system goes off.  Considering the amount of money we’ve all spent on the hardware you’d expect the interface to it to be as solid as possible but when they release an update for a product that the main selling point is its sound and the main thing the update breaks is the sound then you have to question if any testing or any form of QC or release process is even being used or follwed.

Before people start saying “reboot” or “its your network”, I can assure them that its not, I’ve been working in IT for about 20+ years so would hope I know what I’m doing by now).  

I always know when theres an update available for Sonos too as the system plays up more than usual for some reason.

Would I recommend Sonos - not a chance.  I’m annoyed I’ve spent so much money on a system that used to be amazing but now is just a talking point (usually about how bad it is).

Rant over.  Lets hope a fix to this is released soon.

IBefore people start saying “reboot” or “its your network”, I can assure them that its not, I’ve been working in IT for about 20+ years so would hope I know what I’m doing by now).  

Evidently not, because the problem is with your network.

I always know when theres an update available for Sonos too as the system plays up more than usual for some reason.

That is preposterous.  How could that be?  I never have problems linked to updates.  Not even before they happen.

Would I recommend Sonos - not a chance.  I’m annoyed I’ve spent so much money on a system that used to be amazing but now is just a talking point (usually about how bad it is).

You need to get your network sorted out.  Please tell us about your setup.

IBefore people start saying “reboot” or “its your network”, I can assure them that its not, I’ve been working in IT for about 20+ years so would hope I know what I’m doing by now).  

Evidently not, because the problem is with your network.

That is preposterous.  How could that be?  I never have problems linked to updates.  Not even before they happen.

You need to get your network sorted out.  Please tell us about your setup.

@John B - you are funny.  Not sure if its intentional or not though.  Do you work for Sonos as this is the kind of reply I’d expect from them.  You’ve already made up your mind that the problem is with my network without so much as an ounce of troubleshooting??  Any of us that have worked in IT know that end users like yourself are always correct though, usually with comments like “the server is down” because you and only you cannot get email, files etc. 

Like I said - funny.  No help whats so ever but thanks anyway!

If you give the Community a description of your network devices and connections, and what Sonos devices you have, then there is a good chance that your issues will be resolved.

How do I know it's a network issue? Because the sorts of symptoms your system is experiencing cannot be anything else. 

PS  from long experience on the Community I have also learned that anyone who says they have worked in IT for 20 years is always wrong about Sonos. 

How do I know it's a network issue? Because the sorts of symptoms your system is experiencing cannot be anything else. 

Apart from the countless customers saying that the issue only started happening after the last update.

You should be on the stage.  Now that Mock of the Week has finished I need a few laughs.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Apart from the countless customers saying that the issue only started happening after the last update.

You should be on the stage.  Now that Mock of the Week has finished I need a few laughs.

@Stuow Do you want to get help or do you just want to rant?

He clearly just wants to rant  Update 3.18 did break the desktop volume control. But his drop out problems are network related 

@Stuow Do you want to get help or do you just want to rant?

@John B I’ve never said I needed help and I’ve already had my rant. 

I’m not ranting at you just calling you out for your shocking “troubleshooting”.  You run the danger of being so focused on what you think the issue is that you’re blind to everything else. 

Troubleshooting will always start with some degree of “it might be this or it might be that”, its the joy of troubleshooting complex issues because you don’t know where they’re going to take you.  If you’re going in with an attitude of “its a network issue, it cannot be anything else” then you’re simply setting yourself up for failure.

@Stuow  . You can mock me all you like. I truly don.'t give a **** what you think. You could have a totally robust system but you refuse tbe chance. Who is the real fool here?

Point proven really.  Now I’m wrong aswell:

PS  from long experience on the Community I have also learned that anyone who says they have worked in IT for 20 years is always wrong about Sonos. 

I am actually laughing out loud at this comment. Unreal LOL.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Over and out.

Thanks for the lecture. I am open to many possible causes of your issues. But it isn't a problem with the app.

Over and out.

Who are you sorry?

Nice to see established members being so open and welcoming here.

Over and out.

Thanks for the lecture. I am open to many possible causes of your issues. But it isn't a problem with the app.

They just keep coming!

I doubt anyone is going to get through to you but you really need to step up your troubleshooting skills and start looking at the bigger picture of things rather than going into a situation already blinkered from your own beliefs that it absolutely cannot be (a) so it HAS to be (b).  

Imagine speaking to Microsoft and saying that you think theres a problem with Windows and they just turn around and say its nothing to do with Windows, its your network, without even doing any troubleshooting.  You wouldn’t be happy would you but thats exactly what you’re doing here, you’re discounting everything else just to support your narrative.

Adding to all this as I too have the issue since the update, even the iOS app version has issues in that what used to be fine motor control for volume levels has gotten very difficult to control. I used to be able to lower volume on my Moves in 1 unit increments and now as soon as I try to hit the general volume level to access individual volume controls a gross change to volume happens and then trying to lower to a specific level (like “1”) as i want to set for sleeping is now much more difficult.

It jumps large increments or to “0” and it takes so much longer to get under control. Then If I get close to “1” the general level goes to “0” and makes any changes impossible until I increment the general volume up from “0” then I can control the individual levels again and repeat as above.. very very frustrating…

Before people start saying “reboot” or “its your network”, I can assure them that its not, I’ve been working in IT for about 20+ years so would hope I know what I’m doing by now).  

Troubleshooting will always start with some degree of “it might be this or it might be that”, its the joy of troubleshooting complex issues because you don’t know where they’re going to take you. 

LOL

Userlevel 1
Badge

Network problems are networks problems, not app problems - but is the network problem on the Sonos product or is it at the network infrastructure products, that is another question. Sonos isn’t always very capable on surviving (well) on different kind of network setups. There are same category products that do better, and those that do worse. But simply outlining that that problem isn’t on Sonos network & protocol stack is rather silly. I can easily do a valid, working and “correct” network where Sonos has issues and competitor does not. Is the problem then on Sonos or my network?

The volume control issue is not a network issue. It might be app issue, but to me it seems like it would not be - the app just shows symptoms of the problem differently on different OS’s. It would seem to be issue with the S2 O/S.

Maybe we will some day know. Or then we won’t. But a fix will come, eventually. Until then I again struggle using my Sonos setup.

@boogey . That is a reasonable analysis. Sonos does make greater demands on a network than a single device does. The network isn't necessarily faulty, but does have some setting or feature that makes it difficult or impossible for Sonos to work optimally.

For example, if a controller device connects to 5GHz and the speakers are on 2.4GHz, and the router does not bridge the two bands, then the app won't be able to find the speakers. A decent router will bridge the bands - but some don't. Is that a network fault or just a limitation? The router will serve many users without problems.  There are ways round this. I am not bothered whose 'fault' it is. It's a network issue requiring a network solution.

For the avoidance of doubt, I KNOW that the current problem with the desktop volume control is a Sonos bug. It was @Stuow who went off topic by complaining about the iOS app  

We have exactly the same problem on three separate Sonos systems - one at work and at two homes.

It speaks to seriously inadequate software testing if such a bug in something this basic is allowed through to general release; and it’s very dissonant with Sonos’ “high-end” positioning.

Quite amazing.