Skip to main content

Ok noob question alert. Is ZP120 like ZP90 plus amp? Reason for asking is in the used marketplace a ZP120 is not much more than a ZP90. For now I do not need to connect to external passive speakers because I have 2 Sonos 5 Gen 1s. So can I use a ZP120 to wirelessly connect both my Sonos 5 Gen 1s and play music with S1 on my iPad?

Is ZP120 like ZP90 plus amp?

Hi @nospam, you got it: the ZP120 is an old-old Sonos Amp, while the ZP90 is an old-old Sonos Port.

So can I use a ZP120 to wirelessly connect both my Sonos 5 Gen 1s and play music with S1 on my iPad?

I’m not sure I understand the role of the ZP120 here. What do you plan to connect to the ZP120?

I’m not sure I understand the role of the ZP120 here. What do you plan to connect to the ZP120?

Actually maybe I can connect pair of passive speakers next time. In the meantime whether if I can use it to wirelessly connect to a pair of Sonos 5 Gen 1s. Currently, I am using S1 on iPad to play the pair of Gen 1s.

Actually maybe I can connect pair of passive speakers next time. In the meantime whether if I can use it to wirelessly connect to a pair of Sonos 5 Gen 1s. Currently, I am using S1 on iPad to play the pair of Gen 1s.

Sorry @nospam, I’m still not getting it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Today you’ve got a working pair of Sonos 5s controlled from the S1 app on your iPad. Forgetting about the ZP120 driving a pair of passive speakers, what is the new functionality you hope to get from the ZP120?

Sorry @nospam, I’m still not getting it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Today you’ve got a working pair of Sonos 5s controlled from the S1 app on your iPad. Forgetting about the ZP120 driving a pair of passive speakers, what is the new functionality you hope to get from the ZP120?

Hi, I am just thinking ahead for when I will connect to passive speakers. When I do, I am hoping to have the option to play through the passives or through both 5 Gen 1s. 

I’m also confused, why can’t you just play your Play 5s as they are using your home WiFi?

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/switch-sonos-between-a-wireless-and-wired-setup

Hi, I am just thinking ahead for when I will connect to passive speakers. When I do, I am hoping to have the option to play through the passives or through both 5 Gen 1s. 

All good @nospam, we’re on the same page! Adding the ZP120 with a pair of passive speakers will expand your existing system using the S1 app. What kind of deal can you get on a ZP120?