Answered

ZonePlayer ZP90 runs for a while then dissappears

• 3 June 2023
  • 9 replies

Badge

Over the past month my ZP90 is disappearing from the network.  It worked great for years, but now when I power it up it appears in the App and plays music, but after a time it stops playing music and disappears from the app.  The white lights are on while it’s working and after it stops working.

It’s been getting worse.  Originally I could cold boot it and it would last for weeks; then days; and now minutes.

Can you please help me diagnose and fix the issue?

Thank you,

DougM

icon

Best answer by Doug_44 4 June 2023, 17:41

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Likely, this is a ZP90 hardware issue. Unfortunately, SONOS does not provide service or hardware documentation. In Europe there are a few independent companies that offer service.

In order to help prove the hardware issue, submit a diagnostic (note the confirmation number) and contact SONOS support. The best plan would be to submit while the unit is functioning and again immediately after a failure.

The best option is a potential duplicate IP address issue, brought on by a software update forcing a reboot of the device, and getting faulty information from your router. The worst case is hardware failure (potential overheating?) causing it to fault out. 

As @buzz suggests, a diagnostic with 10 minutes of a failure, followed by a call to Sonos would likely be able to pin it down, one way or the other, 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

There’s another thread that describes the capacitors in 10+yr old Sonos gear failing in the power supply, which causes symptoms like this. You’ve had a good decade from your ZP, time to replace it (or break out the soldering iron and try and fix it yourself).

Edit: this is the answer I am talking about

https://cf.ws.sonos.com/p/m/5d3c06e5-9901-4724-afa1-80e825adec0c

There are various DIY repair discussions. A quick search turned up this one.

Badge

Ooh, I’m liking this.  I’m pretty dang good with a rework station but I can’t diagnose worth a crap.  I’ll just start swapping Caps until it comes back to life, starting with the ones discussed above :-)

Thank you!

Badge

Ok, so currently it’s online  (I grabbed a diagnostic per Buzz’s suggestion)

Of the power leads

Yellow is 13.65v

Brown is 0

Red is 3.245

Does this sound nominal?  I’m surprised brown is 0

As soon as it goes offline I’ll check to see what those values are.  I suspect they’ll stay the same.

What I don’t have is a thermal camera that I can use to zero anything running unusually hot, but I’ve got one at work I can bring home next week.

Badge

Potential good news, I kept waiting for it to fall offline after I took it apart and powered it up on the bench - but it never did.  So I went to bed.

This morning it’s still online.  And it was grouped, so presumably it has been playing music, though I don’t currently have it attached to an audio device.

Heat is a thought, but more likely I think it’s network,  I had been using it as a network switch, so hard wired and then out of the other port to one of those IP-over-powerline widgets.

I’m going to put it back together, leave it on WiFi and see how it does.

Sonos doesn’t support internet over power line devices. Sometimes they work fine, other times, it’s a crap shoot. Sonos just can’t support the variability. 

Badge

Sonos doesn’t support internet over power line devices. Sometimes they work fine, other times, it’s a crap shoot. Sonos just can’t support the variability. 

In this case the device was downstream, but I think it was a contributing factor.

Having had the ZP90 on WiFi all day without a hiccup I’m calling this case closed.

Thank you all for your help and guidance!