Answered

Yamaha Amp with Connect

• 13 January 2024
  • 6 replies

Hi,

I have a Sonos Connect connected to a Yamaha A-S501 amp, I also have a Sonos 5 series 1, the system is 5-7 years old

I orginally had Cabasse indoor speakers and Niles outdoor speakers, a few years ago the tweeter on one of the Cabasse speakers failed, I assume too much power so I upgraded to Klipsch speakers and more recently one of the woofers failed in the Niles. I have since purchased Sonance outdoor speakers

With volume control on both the AMP and the phone app is there a way to control the system so I don’t get too much power going through the speakers? I don’t want to blow up any more 

TIA

Nigel 

icon

Best answer by Kumar 13 January 2024, 09:54

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

From your posts it appears that you are using the Connect wired to the Yamaha to the speakers. There is no point in using a third volume limiter then - use the volume control on the Yamaha as a limiter. 

There’s a volume limiter in the room’s settings in the controller, which would reduce the power sent to the speakers. But it seems odd to me that the CONNECT:AMP could put out enough power, at 55 watts, to blow out any speakers. It depends on what speakers you’re driving, but I would think whichever Sonance speakers you’re driving could accept that power. 

Thank you Kumar

No worries; and that Yamaha amp is a keeper. I have one since 2010 from the same line up performing flawlessly,  even as it is out of sight in a ventilated box in my balcony. 

Thanks Airgetlam, I haven’t connected the Sonance yet. But I’ll set them up. Just found the limiter in the app. Does this work with Spotify the same if I use Spotify?

The limiter has no connection with any streaming source. It limits the output, no matter what you are playing. Just like the volume, balance, or EQ controls.