Answered

Yamaha Amp with Connect

• 13 January 2024
  • 6 replies

Hi,

I have a Sonos Connect connected to a Yamaha A-S501 amp, I also have a Sonos 5 series 1, the system is 5-7 years old

I orginally had Cabasse indoor speakers and Niles outdoor speakers, a few years ago the tweeter on one of the Cabasse speakers failed, I assume too much power so I upgraded to Klipsch speakers and more recently one of the woofers failed in the Niles. I have since purchased Sonance outdoor speakers

With volume control on both the AMP and the phone app is there a way to control the system so I don’t get too much power going through the speakers? I don’t want to blow up any more 

TIA

Nigel 

icon

Best answer by Kumar 13 January 2024, 09:54

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

There’s a volume limiter in the room’s settings in the controller, which would reduce the power sent to the speakers. But it seems odd to me that the CONNECT:AMP could put out enough power, at 55 watts, to blow out any speakers. It depends on what speakers you’re driving, but I would think whichever Sonance speakers you’re driving could accept that power. 

Thanks Airgetlam, I haven’t connected the Sonance yet. But I’ll set them up. Just found the limiter in the app. Does this work with Spotify the same if I use Spotify?

The limiter has no connection with any streaming source. It limits the output, no matter what you are playing. Just like the volume, balance, or EQ controls. 

From your posts it appears that you are using the Connect wired to the Yamaha to the speakers. There is no point in using a third volume limiter then - use the volume control on the Yamaha as a limiter. 

Thank you Kumar

No worries; and that Yamaha amp is a keeper. I have one since 2010 from the same line up performing flawlessly,  even as it is out of sight in a ventilated box in my balcony.