Answered

will i have echo/ sync issues?

• 3 September 2023
  • 4 replies

I’m thinking of adding a Port to my traditional audio system to add my LP’s to Sonos speakers.

In the media room with the traditional audio is a pair of ceiling speakers connected to Sonos AMP.

my question Is this: if I have sound coming from my traditional 7:1 sound system AND from the Sonos-powered ceiling speakers, will I experience sound sync issues?

thanks!

icon

Best answer by buzz 3 September 2023, 09:09

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Yes. Any Sonos analog log in is subject to that delay. The only speakers that are not are the Sonos ‘room’ that is connected to the video device. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If the Port is hooked to the AVR’s Tape Loop and the AVR set to Tape Monitor will the Port deliver delayed sound to the AVR? 

So: LP to Phono IN, to Tape Out, to Port, back to Tape In, then to the power amp section.

Too long since I recycled my ZPs to remember the answer.

Stanley_4, in your case there would be time alignment because you have an older receiver that will not have any digital processing.

NeilM18, unfortunately in your case modern receivers virtually never offer the Tape Monitor feature, usually include some sort of digital processing delay, and you’ll encounter some time skews if you attempt to use the phono preamp built into the receiver, if any.

If you use a turntable with a built in or external preamp connected to PORT’s Line-In and play the turntable through PORT’s Line-Out connected to a receiver input, you’ll have time alignment between Grouped SONOS Rooms and receiver speaker output, however, you may need to disable the receiver’s digital processing. Often this is known as a receiver’s “Direct” option.

Thanks! I’ll put a Port on Santa’s list!