Skip to main content

Hi, I’m still confused after a fair bit of research I’ve done. I own a 1970s Yamaha turntable with a Pioneer amplifier. I own a Sonos Beam and keen to expand my sonos family with either a punchier speaker or adding a Sub. Attached is a pic of my vintage amp so you can see all the complicated wires (yes i’m not very savvy with this stuff). So basically can I get a recommendation with what setup I should go for to get the best quality sound. I was thinking either the Port, Amp or Sonos five? Please help !

Here’s the pic of my record player and amp.

You have semi conflicting desires expressed…adding a record player, and adding a Sub. 

To add the record player, you’ll need a pre-amp device to sit between the turntable and a Sonos device with a line in. Those would be an Era 100/300, a Sonos Port, or a Sonos Five. We’ll put aside the Amp for now, it would only be useful if you were driving a pair of other non-Sonos speakers you had. 

Since you’ve expressed the desire for a ‘punchier’ speaker, I’d recommend the Sonos Five. It has the line in so you could connect your turntable, has a tremendous and punchy sound, plus the benefit of being able to also, if you choose, play the record player on your Beam, either with or without playing it in your Sonos Five.