Answered

what is a group coordinator and how do I create it?

• 6 November 2022
  • 7 replies

Badge +1

I was chatting with Sonos Support to try to resolve an issue with one of my speakers getting out of sync.

The individual mentioned “group coordinator” but there isn’t any setting for creating one or even much mention of one in the sonos support / documentation.

My system worked fine until a recent update and then one of my Sonos Connect devices gets out of sync with a couple of nearby speaker pairs, one connected by wifi and one connected to my home network via ethernet.

Help appreciated.

Jim P  

icon

Best answer by buzz 6 November 2022, 21:51

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I think the group coördinator is the speaker from which you start the group: say the kitchen is playing radio and you ad the living room. Then the kitchen is group coördinator.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

There are some older posts here discussing it in more detail but I believe teh above post got it right.

I always try to start my groups using a wired Sonos if one is going to be part of the group, seems to make things a bit more stable.

There is a growing number of posts describing a similar issue with CONNECT. I believe this is something that SONOS needs to fix in a future update.

Yes, a “coordinator” is a unit that is handling network traffic for a Pair or Group. The left speaker in a “Bonded” pair is the Pair’s coordinator and the first unit in Group is the Group’s coordinator. We don’t usually call it “the coordinator” but a soundbar handles network traffic for surrounds and SUB’s in a surround room.

Badge +1

Question to “buzz” - you introduced another term - what is a “bonded” pair?

Also - Is it advisable to connect the left speaker of a stereo pair to a wired network?

Thanks for responses in advance.

-jP

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Bonded Pair: Two Sonos speakers configured as a left/right stereo pair, assigned a single Room name.

Unless you have WiFi issues wiring is seldom needed, if it is then usually the more you wire the better things work.

I may be mistaken but I think Sonos only uses the term 'bonded' to describe the attachment of Sub and Surrounds to a Home Theatre device. The Sub and surrounds are configured as 'slaves' to the main HT product, such as an Arc.

The HT product, Sub and surrounds communicate over a direct 5GHz connection.

I’d agree with John. I’ve always thought of it as “paired” for stereo devices, “Bonded” for the more permanent connection of a sub, or surround speakers. I suppose it boils down to the “permanence” of the setup. 

It’s been a while since I’ve done either of those. Do they follow the same process in the controller?